Question

Student
RachRobin
Message 1 of 2 (168 Views)

Can't get past the Boot device Not Found Screen

HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC

I'm having problems getting past the System Diagnostics Screen.  It seems like my notebook might have crashed completly.  I don't have a Recovery Disk and I don't have an External Hard Drive.  This problem was very sudden, I went to shut down the computer as normal and later came back to get on  which led me to the system Diagnostics screen.  I've tried everything that I could but it took me nowhere.  Can anyone give out advice?

Grad Student
MathewT
Message 2 of 2 (158 Views)

Re: Can't get past the Boot device Not Found Screen

Hello Robin,

The first important thing to find out will be, if this is a hardware or a software issue.

I would first request you to run a test on the Hard drive. You can do this test from the BIOS.

Steps:

1: Shutdown the computer

2: Turn the computer back on and start tapping the F10 Key on the keyboard. This will allow you to enter the BIOS page

3: You will have diagnostics under which you can run a short and long test on the HDD. Run both the test and see if the test passes or fails.

4: If the test fails there is an issue with the Hard drive and the drive needs to be replaced. If the test passes then its an issue with the Software on the computer

If you have not deleated any partition on the computer or changed the operating system, you will have the HP Recovery option available

Steps:

1: Shutdown the computer

2: Restart the computer and keep tapping the F11 key. This will allow you to enter the HP Recovery manager page.

From here you can do a complete recovery of the computer

Note: Recovery will erase all the data on the computer.

If the recovery partition is not available, you can contact HP and request for a recovery disc

Regards

MathewT

**Click on the KUDOS Star on the left to say "thanks" for helping!**
**Please Mark a Reply "Accept As Solution" if this has resolved your issue.**
I Work On Behalf Of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation