Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My hp pavilion touchsmart 14 sleekbook was acting funny so I decided it was time to reset it back to factory settings. I didn't realize it would take so long. I use my computer for work and I've got about 30 minutes before I have to leave. Is it safe to unplug the computer while in reset mode? The drive to work is ~40 minutes then it'll be put back on power.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
It's typically not a good idea to remove long-term power from the system when it is doing any delicate procedure. Suppose the battery were to drain (since it is using it up faster as it is doing a lot of work), and the system shuts down partway through the reset process - it could leave your system in a state that isn't functional.

I'd recommend letting the process finish first.
___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
It's typically not a good idea to remove long-term power from the system when it is doing any delicate procedure. Suppose the battery were to drain (since it is using it up faster as it is doing a lot of work), and the system shuts down partway through the reset process - it could leave your system in a state that isn't functional.

I'd recommend letting the process finish first.
___
I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' button on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

i am currently resetting my computer at work and still have 2 hours left here but i know the reset is going to take longer then that to finish.  if i can unplug my computer and plug it back in in 10-15 minutes during the reset, is that going to screw everything up or whill it be usable still?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.