Question

Honor Student
mbwtime
Message 1 of 4 (641 Views)

Copy File Fails during Recovery on Pavilion DV6 Windows 7

I need help!  I have a Pavilion DV6 with Windows 7, my hard drive died so I bought a new one, it is just like the one that died.  I ordered the recovery discs from HP  When it gets to 98% on the 2nd disc I get the following message

Copy File Fails

To: C:\RM\Image\BASE8.SWM

Press OK to retry

I have done this several times but it just comes back.  I tried turning it off and starting over with disc 1 but it just does the same thing again.

Can anyone help me please?

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 4 (619 Views)

Re: Copy File Fails during Recovery on Pavilion DV6 Windows 7

The 2nd disk may have a defect. If you have a dvd burning program that has ability to copy disks try making a copy of it. Or try ImgBurn>>HERE

If all else fails contact HP for a replacement.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
mbwtime
Message 3 of 4 (607 Views)

Well I guess the 2nd disc has a defect cause I tried to make a copy of it and it got an error there also.  If anyone else has any ideas let me know and in the mean time I will contact HP to replace the bad disc.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 4 (598 Views)

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 license key attached to bottom of laptop , you can download a Windows 7 ISO file to burn to a DVD for the version that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker. 

Get ImgBurn to burn the iso image to DVD using slow burn speed.

Or use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to convert the ISO file to a Windows installation on DVD or USB flash drive.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers/software you need, using the button at top of this page titled "Support & Drivers".

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation