Question

Tutor
AZ_Steve
Message 1 of 6 (134 Views)

Creating recovery disk usb flash drive error message

Trying to create a Recovery Disk using a USB drive and I get an error message that the USB drive inserted has insufficient space available.

HP Laptop Model: 2000-2c12NR

Windows 8.1 (upgraded from Win 8)

Recovery Partition (Drive D)  is 22.8 Gigs - Shows that 20.0 Gigs are used.

USB Flash Drive is a 32 Gig Sandisk USB  "Cruzer Glide" Thumb Drive.  Drive properties indicate 31.9 Gigs available.  This is a new thumb drive and has never been used.  Seems there should be more than adequate space available.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 6 (114 Views)

Re: Creating recovery disk usb flash drive error message

A recovery usb drive Data may be larger than the sum of the files on the recovery partition, if you can try a 64gb drive.

Tutor
AZ_Steve
Message 3 of 6 (107 Views)

So, what you're saying is that this works something like a zipped  file?  It shows 20 gigs, but during installation to the USB drive it's going to expand to something larger - is that correct?

It does make sense to do this for the sake of saving hard drive space in the recovery partition, but the recovery program tells me I need 5 DVDs or 3 dual layer DVDs - or a USB drive with 25 Gigs of available space.

I bought this 32 Gig drive specifically for this.  Can't return it since I opened the package - and there's no defect. Oh well, always find some use for it.  I'll try what you suggested, but a 64 Gig USB drive is about $40.   The recovery program isn't giving me  accurate info.  You don't suppose HP will send me a 64 gig drive, do you?  lol - I know, not a chance.

Thanks for your response.  I do appreciate you taking the time.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 6 (103 Views)

Not for sure that is the issue, only way to test is to try a larger usb drive, if it gives same error, then you would need to call HP about the issue.

Tutor
AZ_Steve
Message 5 of 6 (99 Views)

Well, since I have to go to Sam's Club tonight anyway, I'll pick up some dual layer DVDs and see how that goes.  Yeah, if there's still an issue I'll call HP. 

I had to call HP tech support the other day after upgrading to Win 8.1.  They were really helpful and solved the problem quick. But again, this was after I ran HPs upgrade compatibility program and it told me there were no issues and my laptop would handle 8.1 just fine.  Nope - major bios problem.

Starting to think HP needs to re-think some of their applications.

Again. thanks for taking the time.  I do appreciate it.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 6 (97 Views)

I found this article which recomended looking for bios update prior to installing 8.1, but how would the average user know that they needed to read this, let alone find it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03847367&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation