Question

Honor Student
Lissa38494
Message 1 of 3 (257 Views)

Dm4 wont boot- hard disk error but passes hard disk test

My dm4 laptop froze yesterday and I was forced to restart it- it is 3 years old but I have had no issues with it. When trying to reboot it will not start and if I run windows repair it comes up with the failed 2 hdd error. I thought it was a hard drive failure as I originally got a 305 error code when running the hard drive test. Upon opening system diagnostics I ran the hard disk test and it passed no problem. However if I run any of the other tests- start up, run in, or system tune up, I get the error Hard Disk 1. I tried the hard disk test again and it passes. Ive run Avg virus scan and found no threats. I have no idea what is going on- I did a BIOS rollback and the computer still wont boot up. What is happening and can I recover my data?
Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 3 (241 Views)

Re: Dm4 wont boot- hard disk error but passes hard disk test

[ Edited ]

With the intermittent errors,it sounds like the hard drive is failing and will need to be replaced. A retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

As for whether it is possible to recover your files it depends on how much life is left in the hard drive.Many times you can remove it, attach it to a USB Adapter or install in a USB Enclosure to plug into  working machine via usb port and copy files over to the hard drive of host machine.

If you need more help selecting/replacing the hdd post back with full Model & Product Number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Lissa38494
Message 3 of 3 (229 Views)

Re: Dm4 wont boot- hard disk error but passes hard disk test

That is what I first suspected but why would it pass the hard drive test if the hard drive has failed?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation