Elitebook Folio 9470m - how to create recovery USB in preinstalled Win7? (1377 Views)
Honor Student
Neith_
Message 1 of 4 (1,377 Views)
Accepted Solution

Elitebook Folio 9470m - how to create recovery USB in preinstalled Win7?

Hi, this will be my first post here, so please be gentle :smileyhappy:

I have a new, pretty HP Elitebook Folio 9470m for testing - it came with preinstalled Windows 7 OS. I wanted to check some things, play around with it and as a cautious user I wanted to create a recovery media first. I have a 65GB flash drive which I've previously used as a recovery media for other notebooks and (as this model doesn't have a CD/DVD drive) I wanted to use it this time as well.

First I searched the web to find out how to create a recovery USB for this laptop but HP website gave me the info to use Recovery Manager which I don't have installed on this notebook - when I search for "recovery" I get something like "Create HP recovery CD". And when I try to use this I get an error regarding no writable media (even thou the flash drive is connected).

I stumbled upon a tip to F11 the laptop before boot, but I don't get the Recovery Manager either.

Should I download it and install from somewhere or is there another way to create the recovery stick for this notebook?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (1,371 Views)

Re: Elitebook Folio 9470m - how to create recovery USB in preinstalled Win7?

[ Edited ]

Hi Neith,

You can use the HP Recovery Flash Disk utility for Windows 7.  There is more information about the utility on this HP web document.

Best regards,

erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Neith_
Message 3 of 4 (1,366 Views)

Thank you, Erico - this is exactly what I needed :smileyhappy:

Just one more question - should I prepare the flash drive somehow before I use the recovery utility? I know that it should be formatted, but any other requirements (other than >16BG of size)?
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (1,360 Views)

Hi,

The recovery utility program should delete all that is on the flashdrive on its own, but if it does not, read the following sentence.

You can format the disk in FAT32 format  or use the DISKPART utility to remove the current partition. For most people formatting is a better choice. Do not choose NTFS when formatting.

Best regards,

erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation