Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My laptop is HP dv7-4296nr, I have a Recovery partition included. But I can not access Recovery Manager in boot screen by pressing F11, when I pussed, it just boot to Windows normally, although in the bottom left conner, it display "F11...System Recovery". Only when I active the Recovery partition and restart, that I can enter the Recovery manger. Could someone told me what I have to do to fix that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Before trying the suggestion below, make sure you have backed-up all your personal files etc.

If you have created your set of Recovery DVDs, you could use these to reinstall the operating system as this process will also re-create the Recovery Partition and so hopefully regain the f11 functionality.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi,

Before trying the suggestion below, make sure you have backed-up all your personal files etc.

If you have created your set of Recovery DVDs, you could use these to reinstall the operating system as this process will also re-create the Recovery Partition and so hopefully regain the f11 functionality.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. But I have a problem when I recovery by the DVDs, in the last disc ( I burn to 8 DVDs), in the next step "Copying files need to restore the hard drive", it's said that "Cannot recover using the factory image", what is the problem? It's said: "In some case, restore the hard drive may fix your problem", so in the end, after few hour, I can't recover my machine and my data, OS has gone, I got nothing.

Another question: Can I get another way to fix F11 fuctional without recover the hole hard drive? Because I don't have time to recover and restore my data, and I'm afraid that I'll meet the problem up here.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try running the following tests and let me know the result.

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I was doing a system recover when I trip on the power cord pulling it out of the wall and now my compuiter says that bootmgn. Is gone how do I get it back to system recover
HP Recommended

I have tested both Hard Disk test and Memory test, all of them was passed, no error found. What should I do next? All I want is fix F11 functional without recover hole system.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't see any way of getting the f11 functionality back without reinstalling the OS using Recovery Discs to re-create this partition.

However, a reasonably quick way of doing this would be to first create a Disk Image of the Windows partition C as shown in the link below.

http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/20/windows-7-how-to-create-a-system-image-of-a-hard-disk-partitio...

As your Recovery Discs fail to complete, order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Use these discs to reinstall the operating system ( re-creating the Recovery Partition D in the process ) and when done, restore the image of the Windows partition you created earlier as shown in the following link.

http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/21/windows-7-how-to-restore-windows-7-partition-or-hard-disk-part...

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. But I live in Vietnam, can I order HP to ship from US to Vietnam? Could you tell me while my Recovery disc fail? I created it from Recovery Manger, after I unbox my laptop, when everything normal, but why it's fail? 1 question: how can I restore my hard disk like Recovery manager suggest when it has a error up here? Restore and recover are differently?

HP Recommended

Hi,

My best guess is that the Recovery Partition itself is Ok, but the f11 option is not pointing to the correct address to start booting from this partition.

Let me know the following and I may be able to suggest an alternative procedure.

1.  Do you currently have a working installation of Windows on the notebook?

2  What is the full version of Windows you are trying to reinstall ( ie Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit )?

3.  Do you definetely want the Recovery Partition to work from the f11 prompt or would another method of reinstalling Windows be acceptable?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

1. Yes I do. I have installed Win7 Pro 64bit from a disc I bought from the store near my house, when everything, OS, my data has gone, all of my 500GB hard disk is empty, and installation was successful, Win7 Pro I have installed run normally.

2. The Windows version came with my notebook is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, so in the Recovery partition, it must be that Windows.

3. I want the Recovery partition could work like before, when I just bought my notebook. In generally, I want my notebook restore to factory condition, when F11 work correctly, but I afraid when I recover it by the disc, I met the error I used to.

How could I fix the correct address? Without recover my machine?

I has created system image like the link you give me, my data has been backed up, also I have created a ghost file from Norton Ghost, just in case.

So much thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.