Question

Student
JohnM72
Message 1 of 3 (359 Views)

Error 305 in a Compaq Presario CQ71 402SA

I have a Compaq Presario CQ71 402SA, running Windows 7.  It hasn't been used for a few days, but has today begun coming up with 'SMART' warnings about imminent disk failure. 

The only recent change has been the usual automatic Microsoft updates.

Running the Primary Hard Drive Self Test it passes the quick test, but in the comprehensive test, gets to 13% and then gives 'Hard Disk 1 Full (305)'.

However CHKDSK gives it a clean bill of health, and 'My Computer' shows that C: has over 200GB of free space.

a) Is this definitely a hard disk failure, or could it be a software interaction with the recent Microsoft updates?

b) My recovery package is held on D:, rather than on separate CDs, but D: is presumably part of the problematic hard drive.  Does that mean I need a set of recovery CDs?  If so, where can I get them  (I'm in the UK)?

c) Where can I find instructions for replacing the hard drive and installing the recovery CDs?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (353 Views)

Re: Error 305 in a Compaq Presario CQ71 402SA

Hi,

The 305 error is actually a little misleading, as it refers to a failure of the Comprehensive ( Full ) Disk Self Test ( DST ) - it does mean that the Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced.

A brief overview of this procedure is detailed below.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 56 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set in the UK from the reseller linked to below.

HP Recovery Discs - United Kingdom.

The procedure for using these discs to reinstall the operating system is described in the HP document Here.

Regards,

DP-K  ( also in the UK :smileyhappy: )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 3 (352 Views)

Re: Error 305 in a Compaq Presario CQ71 402SA

Hi:

You can pretty much bank on the fact that the HDD is dead.

You can start the PC and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F11 key to launch the recovery process.

If that doesn't work, then you know the hard drive is dead.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.  Hard drive R & R procedures can be found in chapter 4.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01713747/c01713747.pdf

This is very important...If you plan to purchase recovery disks, you must purchase a replacement hard drive of at least 320 GB (the size of the original one).

You can order recovery disks at the link below.

http://www.best2serve.com/page/rcd_hardware_related_products/?product_type_id=4&hardware_product_id=...

If you don't want to shell out 35 quid for a set of recovery disks, you can make your own plain windows 7 installation media IF you can read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on the bottom of your notebook.

Here's how to do that...

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Or use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to compile the ISO file you download from Digital River. Link and instructions below. You need a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method of compilation.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation