Question

Honor Student
sebu
Message 1 of 9 (4,638 Views)

Factory image recovery freeze on 26 %

Hi!

I tried to get a fresh start on my computer by running HP system recovery DVD. Operating system is windows 7 64 bit. It is a HP pavilion dv6. I went to BIOS and set it to boot from cd rom, inserted the cd and followed instructions. it successfully reformatted he windows partition and copied the files required to restore to disc, When it started restoring it stopped its progress at 26%. Any ideas?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 9 (4,628 Views)

Re: Factory image recovery freeze on 26 %

[ Edited ]

Test the hard drive then the memory modules, post back the results.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/...

Also, Windows 7, the wireless needs to be turned ON during recovery.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01611761&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 3 of 9 (4,626 Views)

When you say, did it give an error message or was it stuck at 26% for long time. Do not interrupt the recovery process even though the computer may restart, or the Windows desktop may display, or the process may appear to pause for several minutes at various times.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
sebu
Message 4 of 9 (4,613 Views)

No error message. Its still stuck at 26% after several hours. I have not interrupted the setup process.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 5 of 9 (4,595 Views)

When say "several hours" ? Could you be a little more specific and say approximately how much amount of time ? I have seen OS been reimaged on lots of Notebooks through Recovery DVDs and most of them do get stuck for certain amount of time but you need to be patient enough for process to complete. 

If recovery is still stuck at same stage with no progress, I would recommend you to run a comprehensive test on hard drive through diagnostics available in BIOS and post the results. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
sebu
Message 6 of 9 (4,589 Views)

It stood still for at least 4 hours, I have now tested both memory and harddisc without finding any problems.

Honor Student
sebu
Message 7 of 9 (4,581 Views)

Now the cdrom opened and i got a message.

Reducer

Copy file fails

From E:smileytongue:reload\base16.wim

to: c:\rm\image\base16.wim

Press ok to retry.

I pressed ok but still stuck at 26%

Teacher
maestrorod
Message 8 of 9 (4,577 Views)

just a silly one but it could help..

have you checked the condition of the disk?? any dirt on the cd/dvd?? give it a clean and start the recovery progress again and see what happens.....let it format the drive again and like before make sure the wireless is on

click the kudos button if this helps at all

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 9 of 9 (4,563 Views)

sebu wrote:

Now the cdrom opened and i got a message.

Reducer

Copy file fails

From E:smileytongue:reload\base16.wim

to: c:\rm\image\base16.wim

Press ok to retry.

I pressed ok but still stuck at 26%

As it has failed with an error code, I still suspect it may be hard drive. Kindly refer below link 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/...

I am an HP employee!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation