Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Presario V6000 running XP Media Center - How do I reset the laptop to factory settings without the recovery CD (which I can't find)?  It is running so slow I want to start over.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂

@kriswick wrote:

Presario V6000 running XP Media Center - How do I reset the laptop to factory settings without the recovery CD (which I can't find)?  It is running so slow I want to start over.

Please identify your notebook with the entire product name/number. Start the HP Support Assistant and provide the number at the bottom of the screen.

Kind regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

P/N RG298UA#ABA.  BIOS Version HP F .3D  Do you need the S/N?

HP Recommended

No serial number required.
Thanks for the ID.

If you have not modified the partitions  the following should work.

"

1. Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the f11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.
    NOTE:Pressing the f11 key during the startup on a computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.

2. If the HP Recovery Manager can access the recovery partition on the hard drive, a prompt to backup the user files before beginning the recovery is displayed. Follow any on-screen instructions.
  3. If the HP Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix any system errors, you will need to use the personalized recovery disc that you created to recover the hard drive to its original condition.
  4. If you have not created the personalized recovery disc, or the discs are corrupted, you can order a replacement recovery disc from HP.
  5. When the Recovery Manager starts, follow the step-by-step recovery instructions shown above.

"

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Fantastic news.  This is my wife's laptop and now she wants to wait until next weekend to do this as she doesn't want to miss Cyber Monday sales.  Will let you know how it goes next weekend.

Thanks so much.

HP Recommended

Has your wife ever burned a Recovery set using HP Recovery Manager software in Start,All Programs? If not you should be able to do so now,Be sure to use good quality DVD+R such as Sony disks.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

No, I haven't burned a CD backup but will this weekend when I work on her laptop.  Thanks for the heads up.

HP Recommended

TADA!  Works like a charm, no more bogging down.  Thanks so much for your help!

HP Recommended

@kriswick wrote:

Presario V6000 running XP Media Center - How do I reset the laptop to factory settings without the recovery CD (which I can't find)?  It is running so slow I want to start over

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.