Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My daughter bought 2 used HP notebooks.  I want to restore them to factory condition but they are password protected. We have no clue what the passwords are.  How can I restore them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Some models will launch Recovery Manager just by continually tapping f11 as you start the machine, others require you to continually tap the esc button as you start and the chose f11 - probably worth trying both these methods with each notebook.  If they don't work, it may be that the previous owner has removed the recovery partition, in which case, you'll need to order the Recovery Discs for each machine as described in my previous post.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi,

Do you mean they both have Windows Log-on Passwords or Bios Passwords?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Log-on passwords.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f11 as soon as you press the power button to see if this launches Recovery Manager.  If it does, you can then use this to completely reinstall the operating system which will remove any password.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It gives me a bunch of options including safe mode but when I click on safe mode it still requires a password.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Is one of the options System Recovery? 

What are the other options listed here?

Do you get any further options if you tap away at esc as you start the notebook?

What are the full Model No. and Part No. of the notebooks ( this should be on the service tag underneath )?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

In anything that says "recovery" it always ends up saying "insert your disc". I have no recovery disc. I guess I need one. How much do they cost?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - the cost will depend on the Country you live in.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

The Windows Vista one is G50 102NR.   The other one is Windows 7 and has a number G62-340US

HP Recommended

Hi,

Some models will launch Recovery Manager just by continually tapping f11 as you start the machine, others require you to continually tap the esc button as you start and the chose f11 - probably worth trying both these methods with each notebook.  If they don't work, it may be that the previous owner has removed the recovery partition, in which case, you'll need to order the Recovery Discs for each machine as described in my previous post.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.