Question

Honor Student
brickster3072
Message 1 of 9 (3,304 Views)

G62 Hard Drive Replacement - No Boot Device

HP G62 Laptop, that went out of warranty 3 weeks ago.

I recieved a SMART error telling me hard drive failure was imminant.

I was unable to make a disk image, and a chkdisk shows lots of bad sector, but I was able to get most of my data off the old disk

I bought a new Western Digital WD5000BEVT 500G hard drive, changed it out, and used the HP restore disks I made, to format and install the factory software on the new disk. When the initial part of the recovery is done, I am prompted to reboot without the DVDs and I get the "No Boot Device" error. I've done the recover process a couple of times with the same result.

I can enter the pre boot options with the ESC key and test the new HD with and it passes.

I can boot the computer from the recovery CD, and browse the hard drive from the command line prompt, so the machine sees the disk. 

It seems the bios doesn't see the boot sector, though the dialogs displayed during the factory resest specfically said that the windows boot sector was being formatted.

I have a USB adaptor for SATA drives, so I can browse the new disk on another computer and it all looks good.
I have reinstalled the old disk and I can boot the G62 from it (after bypassing the SMART error dialogs) so the controller is good.

Any Ideas? 

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 9 (3,288 Views)

Re: G62 Hard Drive Replacement - No Boot Device

Are these HP branded Recovery discs?

If so download and run this software to make a boot cd, boot from it and let it do its magic, then start the recovery process over by booting from Disc 1 of the recovery set.

Honor Student
brickster3072
Message 3 of 9 (3,285 Views)

They are HP factory restore disks that I made from the recovery software on the laptop.

I can boot from the DVDs, and they partition and format the new hard drive, but the boot partition on the new HD is empty... they didn't copy the boot files into it. The rest of the disk looks OK.

I'm going to try to mess with Partiton Magic and see if I can copy the files over. I hope the failing disk doesn't totally die before I'm done with this.

Honor Student
darrellylu
Message 4 of 9 (2,736 Views)

Anu suggestions?

I had exactly the same issue, HP G62, just out of warranty.  Had a hard disk failure, then I replaced with a new hard drive. Reinstalled the sofeware from the recover DVD made when the laptop was purchased, and had a message, "no bootable device".

Honor Student
bamui91
Message 5 of 9 (2,306 Views)

I am having the EXACT same issue as others...but have not seen a solution.  Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?  Replaced hard drive, used recovery disks copied when laptop was purchased and now receiving the message 'no bootable device'.  Repeated process 2-3 times with no luck.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 9 (2,305 Views)

Issue could also be you are using an Advanced Format hard drive, which will not work with HP recovery discs.

Honor Student
bamui91
Message 7 of 9 (2,298 Views)

Thanks for the help.  But what are the next steps, if any?  Buy a new, non-advanced format hard drive?  Different recovery disks?  None...new laptop?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 9 (2,289 Views)

Buy a new, non-advanced format hard drive

Student
danhan08
Message 9 of 9 (897 Views)

I had the same issue. What worked for me was I chose "Factory Reset" option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation