Question

Honor Student
sc10n1c
Message 1 of 5 (217 Views)

HP Dv6-7014NR Can't enter BIOS, Won't boot

[ Edited ]

1.4 yr old HP DV6-7014 NR

System: Core i7Quad, 8GB RAM - All hardware stock.

Software:

• Windows 7 x64 Professional+ Ubuntu + Grub (in MBR) with 3 primary partitions (Wndows, Linux, swap) and a  extended partition.
  • No Recovery parition present now, or UEFI Diagnostics.

Current Symptoms: Wont go to BIOS, wont boot to any OS or show GRUB menu.

1. Shows "Press Escape for Startup Menu" at startup - Fan spins, with solid white charge light. No Sounds/or other error codes.
  2. If I leave it at this screen for about a min, the screen gets scrambled with horizontal white and colored lines - "Esc" doesn't work at that point.
  3. I you rpess "Escape" within 1st few secs of startup, it shows a "Startup Menu" with
  • F1 System Information - Shows correctly
  • F2 System Diagnostics - "Shows Memory Check and" "Hard Drive Check" - both pass with no problems
  • F9 Boot Device Options - Shows HD but doesn't boot to it
  • F10 BIOS Setup - Gets stuck at black screen with white blinking cursor at top left.
  • F11 System Recovery - Gets stuck at Blank screen.

History:

• Stopped charging battery 2 weeks after warranty expired. Laptop worked on battery and AC separately, although battery ran out in just 45 min instead of the normal 3 hrs when just on battery.
  • Noticed wont go to BIOS 1 month back, but still booted to Windows and Linux via GRUB
  • I tried a CMOS reset via this guide, but after that it stopped showing GRUB and booting as well (current state)
HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 5 (166 Views)

Re: HP Dv6-7014NR Can't enter BIOS, Won't boot

Hello sc10n1c.

It appears that when trying to boot the notebook now you're unable to get into the BIOS or OS. That you're encounter black screens or other screen issues. I will try to help you with this.

You could try the steps in this document: Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

Other wise I would recommend contacting support for further assistance.
HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
sc10n1c
Message 3 of 5 (148 Views)

Hi Futoji,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I have tried the the hard reset multiple times and it doesn't help me boot or get into BIOS. The only thing it does is when sometimes the screen gets scrambled . .after doing nothing and waiting on the "Press Escape for Startup Menu" screen for 30 + secs, it helps get back to that "Press Escape for Startup Menu" screen again after reboot.

I dont have a display or backlight problem.

Memory and Hard Drive are both fine. This is via the built-in tests, and the memory tested on a different laptop, as well as upto last week when the machine was booting into WIndows, I had HP Diagnostic installed, and al those tests from Windows used to run fine as well.

In fact - when it was booting to WIndows, I had even tried to update the BIOS thinking it might fix a corruption - the update seemed to go fine, but it still wouldn't get into BIOS after reboot (although it could still boot into WIndows at that point) 

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 4 of 5 (133 Views)

Hi.

As you cannot get into the BIOS or boot into an OS, something is failing. With what you've tested I'm not sure of what that could be.

The only other suggestion I have, it may be an issue with your keyboard where the keys just aren't responding when you try to enter the BIOS. You could try swapping that out to check, other wise I would recommend contacting support.

HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

Thanks for your reply.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
sc10n1c
Message 5 of 5 (131 Views)

[ Edited ]

It does let me use the different F* options on the keyboard. Not sure why the keyboard would go bad.

The strange part is that the BIOS ROM Chip is obviously not physically damamged/burnt because it does show the initial Startup Menu - which I think is the BIOS too. Just the Setup Utility in the BIOS won't work.

Normally I'd suspect a motherboard charging circuit issue for the battery-not-charging problem; and software corruption for the BIOS setup problem. I did replace the GPT scheme on the HD with MBR and installed the GRUB to MBR - but thats all on the HD - dont understand how the legacy BIOS mode in the UEFI firmware could abruptly be effected by it.

I have contacted HP support in Janurary about the charging problem. They wanted me to ship it to HP including the HD and they would get back to me with a cost-to-fix. The rep was guessing the cost would be higher than USD300 as it seemed like a mobo problem already and the laptop was (2 weeks) out of warranty. Also they would wipe/put a new image on the HD. TBH I was very disappointed. For a new USD 1000 laptop to go bad within a few weeks of warranty and have to spend so much on it and have my data wiped. I'd have to remove the HD, use an external reader to back it up and wipe it before sending it too. It is very likely it went bad while on warranty - I didnt notice as I had it plugged in all the time.

Other than the Round trip time and hassle , its also way cheaper for me to buy a OEM mobo and replace it myself.  Problem is I can't seem to pinpoint the issue here - not sure swapping the mobo will help - thoughts ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation