Question

Top Student
cr1272
Message 1 of 9 (920 Views)

HP Envy x2 system password reset

Hi,<br><br>My boss has entered the system password at boot up incorrectly 3 times and so, has locked the system.<br><br>How can this be reset? Is it a case of opening the screen up &amp; removing a cmos battery like in a standard laptop?<br><br>Thanks,
Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 9 (911 Views)

Re: HP Envy x2 system password reset

Hi,

Are you talking about Windows password or something else ? If something else what is the error code ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
cr1272
Message 3 of 9 (910 Views)

It's the system/bios password, that you enter immediately after turning the device on. I set these on all our laptops, and the user has entered it incorrectly 3 times.

The added problem is that I am in Ireland, and the device is in France!  I don't have any error code, as I doubt the user wrote it down at the time he was locked out. Is this code available everytime he turns it on? I'll be speaking to him in a few hours.

Thks,

Top Student
cr1272
Message 4 of 9 (889 Views)

I have now got the error code. It's an 8 digit number.

Provost
banhien
Message 5 of 9 (886 Views)

cr1272 wrote:

I have now got the error code. It's an 8 digit number.

Hi,

What is the number ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
cr1272
Message 6 of 9 (885 Views)

The number is 85622912. I ran that number through a checksum script that I found (dogber1), and it came back with a master password of 30780334, which didn't seem to do anything.

I presume you just type the master password and press enter, or is there another way it needs to be entered?

Thanks for your help banhien :smileyhappy:

Top Student
cr1272
Message 7 of 9 (786 Views)

Presumably, there is no way to get the master password for the Envy X2 then? :smileysad:

Top Student
cr1272
Message 8 of 9 (767 Views)

This has been resolved now with the help of HP support. Had to restore the BIOS, but worked a treat.

This can be closed now.

Top Student
dannybain
Message 9 of 9 (349 Views)

How was this done? I need to perform the same password reset. I can boot windows, in the mean time. I just need the steps for the bios password reset
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation