Question

Tutor
purplelemon
Message 1 of 6 (520 Views)

HP G62-219WM Laptop Recovery help

I bought this laptop for my mother last year. Around Oct she got a really bad virus and even though I got rid of the most annoying parts of it, it still wasn't working right.

I decided to reset the computer to factory default, but it came up with an error during the formatting or reinstalling, and now I get this message every time I reboot my computer:

"BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

I've tried recovery several more times from the Start Up menu, but it still pops up with the following message:

"Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory image. Please contact HP support. Error code: 0xe0ef0003"

after failed reinstallation, and when I cancel it asks to close recovery and reboot.

She found the backup disc that I made when I first got the computer for her, but for some reason it's only one disc and seems to be only a little written on. It naturally does not work.

She is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I ordered the recovery disc, but was hoping there was some way to restore her computer before that.

ALSO, how would I go about using the boot discs when I get them, should I need to resort to that?

Thanks!

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 6 (485 Views)

Re: HP G62-219WM Laptop Recovery help

It sounds like the Recovery partition files have been damaged or corrupted, probably during the virus attack or cleanup procedure.

When you get the Recovery Disks, power on the laptop and put the first disk in the drive.Now shut down or restart and the machine should boot from the disk, may get a prompt to hit any key to boot from CD/DVD drive.

If you do not get a prompt or boot from the disk ,start over and tap the ESC key immediately after powering on, then select CD/DVD drive to boot from.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
purplelemon
Message 3 of 6 (475 Views)

I received the discs today and installed them. Everything seemed to work okay and I didn't get any weird error messages, but after I rebooted, the "BOOTMGR is missing" error still popped up just as before.

I'm attempting a second try just in case I did something wrong the first time, but is there something easy I'm missing here?

How can I install/restore the BOOTMGR? I would assume it would have installed or been fixed with the restore discs.

Thanks!

Tutor
purplelemon
Message 4 of 6 (472 Views)

New problem.

I ran the HP recovery again, and thought there don't seem to be any issues with the process, the BOOTMGR missing message keeps coming up, of course. But to make matters worse, it seems that the OS is no longer installed or recognized on the computer.

When I try to run the System Repair from the hard drive, it loops back to the BOOTMGR error.

I downloaded a Windows 7 disc that acts similarly to the Win7 install disc, allowing me to get into the System Repair options through the disc, however, when it gets to the OS select screen, there is no OS present and the computer can't detect any.

I seem to be worse off after running the HP recovery DVDs. I really don't want to call HP and have to pay for expensive shipping and repairs, and I don't want to have to buy a copy of Windows 7 either. I hope somebody can help!

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 6 (470 Views)

Enter BIOS by tapping the F10 key immediately after powering on the laptop.Use Diagnostics to test the hdd.

If hdd passes Diagnostics,get Partition Wizard Bootable CD ISO and ImgBurn to burn the iso image to cd and boot from it. Delete partitions, create one and format. Next try booting from Recovery again.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
purplelemon
Message 6 of 6 (463 Views)

It didn't work. Seems the recovery discs aren't actually installing Windows. I ended up placing an order for Windows 7.

thanks for the help though!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation