Question

Honor Student
Mads-bs
Message 1 of 4 (1,381 Views)

HP Pavilion DV6 - problem with HP recovery - error 1005

I'm trying to format the computer and reinstall windows.

The laptop does not have a hard disk partition for the recovery. I'm using the DVD's that where made when I got the computer.

I can open the HP recovery system and get about 36% in, before i get the message: "error 1005"

I have tried several options that i could find on google like: cleaning the disc's, setting the BIOS to default, checking the disc's are DVD+R.

Someone suggested that Wireless has to be turned on when using the recovery. Mine is turned off. I can't turn on the computer and switch it on, and the keyboard button (touch button) don't respond.

Any suggestion on how to turn Wireless on, or how to fix the recovery?

Top Student
GundamSLK
Message 2 of 4 (1,374 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV6 - problem with HP recovery - error 1005

The wireless on and off had nothing to do with System recovery. 

You can tried to borrow a OEM disc either XP, Vista or Windows 7. Hp recovery disc tend to fail all the time. Either you download from the web or borrow a friend, or bring it to a local computer shop

if you have question. Please visit my website http://www.icomppower.com

Honor Student
Mads-bs
Message 3 of 4 (1,362 Views)

A HP support document shows that the wireless can make the system recovery fail.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01611761&lc=en&product=3744198

Regarding the OEM disc's. I'm not encouraged to use a different operation system than the one I have allready paid for.

If I choose to do it anyway, how should I handle the missing drivers?, and how can I restore/get the windows license nr. to use with the EOM disc's?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (1,357 Views)

Hi,

There may be a work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you have access to this, use the retail disc to perform the installation, enter the activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this is fully supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional driver can be found starting Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation