Question

Honor Student
artemisiac
Message 1 of 7 (776 Views)

HP Pavilion g6 Notebook - Sudden shutdowns without warning when battery is low

My notebook is only ten months old. Within the last week, it started shutting down unexpectedly when the battery was low (but not at a critical level). If I try to restart it, there won't be a response until I plug in the adaptor cord. Usually there will be around 20% of my battery left when my computer is booted up after such a shutdown, so I don't think it's because of my battery being low. (Besides, when I've accidentally used my laptop until it has to hibernate, the light next to the port for the adapter cord usually blinks to tell me it's the battery.)

Initially I thought it was a problem with overheating, so I cleaned my vents and bought an external laptop cooler when it first shut down unexpectedly two weeks ago. However, the shutdowns have become more frequent since then. I've run the Memory Diagnostic Tool, the HP Battery Check, and updated my BIOS. No problems have come up; in fact, everything seems to be running perfectly. I also ran AVG and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. No problems there either.

What could be the problem? Thanks for any help!

Product name: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC

Product number: A1J18AV

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

Tutor
chu_Nicholas
Message 2 of 7 (762 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook - Sudden shutdowns without warning when battery is low

Maybe you should Contact HP or look at the product's page for any recalls.

Honor Student
artemisiac
Message 3 of 7 (747 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook - Sudden shutdowns without warning when battery is low

I was hoping to find a solution before resorting to calling HP.
Honor Student
SARAH-JAYNE_O2
Message 4 of 7 (397 Views)

Mines started doing exactly the same! Its just 12 months old though and hardly ever gives me a low battery warning. Then it will turn off without shutting down the proper way. When I plug in and turn back on, the battery says its at 20-25%

Is there actually a solution to this and whats causing it?..because if it's the battery then **bleep**..they don't last long.

Honor Student
artemisiac
Message 5 of 7 (393 Views)

Mine turned out to be the battery. If your laptop is still under warranty (mine still had the manufacturer's warranty) then HP will cover the cost of the replacement battery and the shipping. If I remember correctly, it took about three weeks for it to get back to me. Hope that help!
Honor Student
SARAH-JAYNE_O2
Message 6 of 7 (391 Views)

I might be just in warranty by a couple of weeks..hopefully it is!..Cheers. I will contact them ASAP.

Student
Baxter1234567
Message 7 of 7 (207 Views)

My HP Pavilion g6 is doing the same thing. It was a year old in February 2014.  I plug it in after the shutdown and it shows about 20% as well. Wondering if it is a battery issue. I will have to take the battery out of my wifes laptop to see if it resolves the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation