Question

Honor Student
krazykev999
Message 1 of 4 (2,096 Views)

HP Pavillion g6 Recovery Media Won't Boot

Hi,

I used HP Recovery Manager on an HP Pavillion g6 to create a 3 DVD set of recovery media.  However, I cannot boot from the first DVD.

I have changed the boot order so DVD is first and the notebook does try to boot from DVD.  However, I get a black screen something like this

Windows Boot Manager

===================

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

FIle: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have also tried the DVD in an other computer (not an HP Pavillion g6) just for testing purposes and get the exact same message.  If I remove the DVD the g6 boots as normal.

Can anyone offer any assistance please?

Thanks

Kev

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (2,090 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion g6 Recovery Media Won't Boot

Welcome to the HP Forum! :smileyhappy:

krazykev999 wrote:

Hi,

I used HP Recovery Manager on an HP Pavillion g6 to create a 3 DVD set of recovery media.  However, I cannot boot from the first DVD.

I have changed the boot order so DVD is first and the notebook does try to boot from DVD.  However, I get a black screen something like this

Windows Boot Manager

===================

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

FIle: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have also tried the DVD in an other computer (not an HP Pavillion g6) just for testing purposes and get the exact same message.  If I remove the DVD the g6 boots as normal.

Can anyone offer any assistance please?

Thanks

Kev

Hi Kev,

Please identify your notebook in the same fashion that I identified my dv7 series notebook in my signature. Include all alphanumeric characters.

Unless you have disturbed the original partitioning scheme, you should be able to access the recovery manager after you press the power button. Most newer notebooks require that you press the Esc key and then tap the F11 key to enter the Recovery Manager. Once in the recovery manager you may recover yournotwebook to factory state and even install the drivers from the recovery manager after completing the recovery.

Do be advised that the Recovery is a destructive process. Windows system Restore is not destructive. You should back up any data you want to keep to an external drive first.

Kind regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
krazykev999
Message 3 of 4 (2,088 Views)

Hi thank you for your reply.  Accessing the recovery manager is not the issue.  I am wanting to create a working set of recovery media. Does the informationbelow help?

HP Pavillion g6

Product Number: QB865EA#ABU

Serial Number: CNF******K

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (2,056 Views)

krazykev999 wrote:

Hi thank you for your reply.  Accessing the recovery manager is not the issue.  I am wanting to create a working set of recovery media. Does the informationbelow help?

HP Pavillion g6

Product Number: QB865EA#ABU

Serial Number: CNF******K

OK. Be sure and use high quality discs. My own preference is disks made with the AZO process. I have had consistently great results with the Verbatim AZO DVD-R discs. 

If you want to make recovery discs that can be done from inside Windows. Start > HP > Recovery Manager > Create Recovery Media. You may not be able to make another set if you have already made one.  If that is the case then purchase a set frm HP or an HP Partner.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation