HP ProBook 4540s - system does not start after recovery (234 Views)
Honor Student
TeanBlack
Message 1 of 4 (234 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP ProBook 4540s - system does not start after recovery

My friend gave me the laptop, because system was not detected. I decided to recovery operating system.
I had to deal with following error messages:

- I was getting error "Boot Device not Found"

I started HDD test with result Passed

- next step was to recovery OS
it finished with new error message
"Selected boot image did not authenticate. Press to continue"
 according to this topic:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Selected-boot-image-did-not-aut...
I did following:
- secureboot changed to disabled
problem  persisted

- legacy changed to enabled
since then I am not able to do anything. When I let the system start, it finishes with HP logo and nothing happens.
When I press ESC after restart, menu is displayed but I am not able to enter to BIOS. If freezes all the time on the menu with highlihted text.

I tried to remove battery, unplug power, press 30 seconds powerbutton, nothing has changed.

Next step should be probably to temporarily remove RTC battery, but I am not sure if am I allowed to open it without loosing waranty.

The laptop is old approx. 3 months.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (222 Views)

Re: HP ProBook 4540s - system does not start after recovery

Hi:

Since the notebook is under warranty, I would suggest your friend contact HP technical support and have them fix the issue.

When you get a boot device not found error it is either the hard drive (whether the test says it passed or not), or the drive controller on the motherboard.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The HP support tech will probably have your friend run through some of the steps you did before they tell him what to do next such as returning it for warranty repairs, etc.

Honor Student
TeanBlack
Message 3 of 4 (202 Views)

thank you. This is usually my last option, but in this case probably the best
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (195 Views)

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation