Question

Intern
PittsburghLap
Message 1 of 10 (2,045 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP System Recovery confusion (pavilion g7-1260us)

I own a pavilion g7-1260us laptop, windows 7 factory installed

I'm having some internet connection issues, but I'm really just posting about the recovery process.  I've owned HP laptops before and am familiar with running recovery manager.  The hard drive (HD) has 3 partitions.  The "local" OS partition plus a "Recovery" partition and an "HP_Tools" partition.

I did a search from the start button and found HP Recovery Manager, which I ran.  I want to run Systme Recovery, but from the title screen it says "(Disabled:  Pleasue use Recovery Media to recover your system)".  I've owned the laptop about 6 months but never made any recovery media and there are no prior windows restore points created.

Surly I can restore this laptop to factory defaults, right?  Why else have such a large recovery partition?  I considered running the "Recovery Media Creation" to make DVDs, but to my understanding that creates an image of the system as-it-now-is, rather than just creating DVDs that will restore a fresh factory setting.

Is there a way to do a "system recovery" despite the option being disabled?  HP used to have an option to do a "factory recovery" which for me is overkill, but I'd consider doing that if it was possible.

What are my options?  Thank you.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 10 (2,040 Views)

Re: HP System Recovery confusion (pavilion g7-1260us)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The first thing I'd recommend is to see if you can use the Recovery Media Creator application to create a set of Recovery Discs.  This will not create a set of discs with the current image, but actually just a bootable copy of your Recovery Partition and if used, will return the notebook to it's Factory Condition in just the same way.  For example, if you had to replace the Hard Drive, these discs would reinstall the original OS and all the original partitions on the new drive, so they're well worth creating if you can.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
PittsburghLap
Message 3 of 10 (2,033 Views)

It seems absurd I can't just recover from the "Recovery" partition directly as I used to do with my old HP laptop, but I'm glad to hear you confirm that I if I make the media DVDs it will be of the factory settings, not my current "image".  I'm hoping your sure of this because the application says I'll only be able to make the DVDs ONE TIME.

I read elsewhere on HP's website that if I do a system recovery that it won't destroy custom made partitions so long as the OS can still fit on the shrunken partition.   Can you confirm or deny this?  For reasons I won't bother you with, this would be advantageous to me.  In my case I'd be taking a 575 GB partition and reducing it to 525 GB.  Everything on my OS parition currently only takes up abotu 50GB of space. 

Thanks.  Your post was certainly helpful. 

Associate Dean
REO51ST
Message 4 of 10 (2,030 Views)

Welcome Pittsburgh.

Raised in Oakland."GO PITT"

Sorry.

Have you ran diagnostics on your HDD yet???

If your HDD is failing it could corrupt the recovery and OS partition.

You should be able to run the test from the BIOS.

I like using MHDD to test all my drives.

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Let us know what you find.

We at the HP forum try to make your HP experience the best.

****Click the Thumbs up to say thanks****

HP Expert Tester "Now testing HP Pavilion 15t i3-4030U Win8.1, 6GB RAM and 750GB HDD"
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Registered Microsoft Partner
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician Certification in progress.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 10 (2,018 Views)

Hi,

Yes, I'm sure regarding the Recovery Discs and the reason you can only create 1 copy is due the the OEM license agrreement with Microsoft.  If these discs ever got misplaced, you can however order a replacement set from HP.

Ok, regarding reinstalling the OS if you have created custom partitions on the Hard Drive.

1.  There is no option that will allow you to retain custom partitions if you use the Recovery Discs.

2.  If you use the Recovery Partition to reinstall the OS, choosing the 'Minimized Image Recovery' option should allow you the choice to retain any custom partitions - see the relevant section Here.

3.  Be aware that if you have MS Office 2010 Starter, this will not be reinstalled whatever method you use.

I have seen unconfirmed posts on the forum that even the 'Minimized Image Recovery' option has still removed custom partitions - I have no way of confirming whether this is a glitch in the Recovery Process of if the users simply did not select the correct option.  With this in mind, there is a method I would suggest that will definitely retain custom partitions as detailed below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, click the Start Menu, open Computer and double-click Local Disk C - you should see a folder called swsetup.  This will contain all the driver installers and practically all of the software installers for your notebook - back this up to an external device/media.

Next, create a retail installation disc yourself - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same as the version you currently have )  from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

With reference to the guide on the link below, use this disc to perform the installation - when you get to Step 7, choose the Custom ( advanced ) option and select the C partition as the destination to install Windows.

Windows 7 Custom Installation.

Enter the Windows activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

When the installation has completed, use the installers in the swsetup folder to reinstall your drivers and software etc.

Regards,

DP-K

Intern
PittsburghLap
Message 6 of 10 (2,013 Views)

DavidPK,

First, thank you so much for your detailed response.  If this was a laptop that I primarily used, I would clean install W7 and then install the drivers and get rid of all the bloatware.  However, this laptop is my wife's and she doesn't care.  She just wants it to work and she's not sure what she did to mess it up.  I've gotten to the point that it's not worth me troubleshooting anymore.

I appreciate your information on the custom partition, but I can live without out for now as the data can be easily moved to a USB drive for now.  My intention is to get the laptop back to factory shipped settings, then shrink the OS partition and create a new one.  From then on I'll just 3rd party imaging software (True Image) and just depend on that.  It's valuable information to know that I can create the media disks with factory settings.  I'll do that to get things back to normal.  It's also valuable to know I'll lose the partition if I ever, in the future, use the HP method to recover again.

To be clear, I'm assuming the only reason I'd have to install drivers is on a clean W7 install, but using HPs recovery method, all the drivers (and bloatware) will be installed exactly as when I first bought the laptop.

Once I make the DVDs and move off the custom data I'll get started.

BUT.... given your unexpected level of knowledge, let me just run the original problem by you and see if there's a qucik fix you know of.

Everything seems to work fine on the laptop except that I no longer can access the internet.  I run a wifi network (verizon) and it works fine for other PCs in the home.  The laptop sucessfully connects to the network but it's unable to gain internet access.  It's been working fine for almost a year (since we bought it) and then it just stopped.  I'm sure there's more to it, but my wife isn't talking or doesn't know what she did, etc.  I tried disabling all the MacAfee software including temporarily turning off the firewall, but no luck.  I also tested the laptop with an external USB wifi adapter.  Laptop identified the adpater and was able to connect to the network, but same problem.  Network connection success, but no internet access.  So that seem to rule out a hardware malfunction of the internal wifi adapter.

Let me know if this is some kind of known issue with a quick fix.  If not, I'll just wipe everything clean and create a nice clean image like I should have done in the first place.

Thanks a lot for your time, help, and clarification.  Very generous of you.

Intern
PittsburghLap
Message 7 of 10 (2,012 Views)

REO51st,

I appreciate your post, but this really doesn't seem like a hard drive problem.  I'm going to try another solution, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks for your time!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 10 (2,001 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

You're correct, any of the HP recovery methods will install all the required drivers.

If you do a clean installation, Windows 7 does a pretty good job of installing most of the necessary drivers, but you'll almost always need to install the Card Reader and Intel Management Engine Interface drivers from HP.

Regarding the current connection issue, from what you describe I would say by far the most likely cause is a corrupt or misconfigured installation of McAfee.  As with most security software, the option to stop the scanning and realtime components will not completely disable the software.

I would try completely uninstalling McAfee, restart the notebook and see if it now connects to the Internet - if it still doesn't connect. from the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

ipconfig /all                        ( Note that there is a space between ipconfig and the / ).

Copy the results in this window by right clicking and choosing 'Select All', hold down the Ctrl key and press C, open Notepad, hold down the Ctrl key and press V to paste the results.  Copy and paste these details with your next post.

Regards,

DP-K

Intern
PittsburghLap
Message 9 of 10 (1,996 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just uninstalled MacAfee and then reinstalled.  Everything's working again.   YOU'RE THE MAN.  Thanks!

I still plan on doing the fresh install and making a nice image, but now I can do it at my leisure, so all your advice was still very helpful and valuable. thanks

Have a good one.  Consider this problem solved.

:smileyhappy:

Thanks, I'll give that go.  I might be using the wrong terms.  I was connected to the wifi connection, but with no internet access.  From the laptop I wasn't able to see the other computers on the network for file sharing and from the other computers I wasn't able to see the laptop, so I don't know if I was even hooked up to the network, so to speak.  I was defintely connected to the wifi signal.

Okay, might be a day or two, but I'll do as you suggest.  Thanks again.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 10 (1,972 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's connecting Ok now.

All the best,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation