Question

Honor Student
TeriLately
Message 1 of 7 (4,499 Views)

HP dv5 Pavilion - Restore factory settings

[ Edited ]

I have an HP dv5 Pavilion Entertainment PC, Windows Vista 64. I was unable to start the computer and opted to restore to factory settings. Once that was done, the computer shut off and stayed off. I turned it back on and now it's telling me I need to install an operating system. I shut the computer off again and checked the computer info. It lists Vista as the operating system, so I'm not sure what's up with it. What do I need to do?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (4,493 Views)

Re: Restore factory settings

[ Edited ]

Please read the First time Here? post. You have definitely not provided enough specific information.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
TeriLately
Message 3 of 7 (4,482 Views)

[ Edited ]

I did look at that and read the directions for posting that were there when I started the post. I'm not sure what else would be needed. I'm not a computer guru. If I was, I wouldn't be on here asking questions. I turn on the computer. It says I need to install an operationg system. It doesn't go to deskop or anything. It's just a black screen with blue and white words. I do appreciate the help, but I don't know what else to add to make it easier for somone to answer my question.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 7 (4,465 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please update your profile with your HP product information. A good explanation of how to do that is found here. HP makes so many notebooks and desktops that simply stating dv5 or dv7, which describes the notebook series really isn't quite specific enough to allow us to give a detailed answer. In some cases there are dozens of notebooks in a series.

The blurb that appeared when you first began your post showed exactly what we need to see in order to research an issue.

post.JPG

All of the information is important. It prevents us from taking shots in the dark at a target (your notebook's issue).

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
TeriLately
Message 5 of 7 (4,459 Views)

OK. That helps. Thanks. It says dv5-1159se.

There's no real error message, it just goes to a page that states, word for word:

Boot device not found.

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard disk (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

This happened after I started the computer after restoring factory settings.

That's all that's on this page.

------

When I click on the system information option in the startup menu, it says "Factory Installed OS: Vista."

If you need some other information, I will try to find it.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 7 (4,454 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the information.

Check the BIOS to see which drive is set to start first in the BOOT list.
Do you happen to have a set of Recovery discs made?
Which method did you use to perform the factory recovery?

Best regards,
erico

Student
HPNotEnimore
Message 7 of 7 (3,119 Views)

Product Name : HP Pavilon DV5 Operational System : Windows Vista Please provide solution for system restore where : => You can't access any system because you lost the boot section of drive C: => You have the "Restore Partition" intact, but pressing F11 at the boot startup dosen't work => You have set the "Restore Partition" as active before. => You tried to run "Vista boot utility disk" and notice that when trying to force boot from the "Restore Partition", it gets no boot sector error. => You can't order DVD from HP because you are not in USA or Europe, or any country with easy access to HP. Its possible to fix this "Restore Partition" to do what it supouse to do ? That is to boot and restore the sistem when you press the correspondent option in the bios ? If not, is it possible to download this restore partition from internet ? Thanks, Wagner.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation