Question

Top Student
Yuly
Message 1 of 11 (7,247 Views)

HP laptop is not starting up

Hello, my HP laptop is not starting up. When I turn it on, the HP logo appears in the middle of a black screen and nothing else happens. I've pressed each button on the keyboard, but it is not helping. Also, the laptop's ventilation produces a loud noise. Can anyone please suggest what to do?
Thank you in advance,
Yuly

Grad Student
3baller
Message 2 of 11 (7,199 Views)

Re: HP laptop is not starting up

I would try doing a hard reset to see if that helps.  The following link will guide you on how to do this:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01684768&product=1132551

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Honor Student
bluekygal57
Message 3 of 11 (7,168 Views)

I bought a set of recovery disks and a driver disk and can't get the disks to load. The disks says to place the disks in and follow the instructions on the screen. The computer squeeks like it is going to work but just sits there. Any suggestions...nothing works as it should.  HELP!

Top Student
Yuly
Message 4 of 11 (7,146 Views)

It turned out that what was causing the problem was a new battery that I installed 3 or 4 days before the issue occurred. I removed this new battery, and turned on the laptop again, and it finally was back up and running.
What surprized me a lot is that it took the new battery several days to cause the problem. I had purchased the battery through an Amazon seller. Should I try get a new one directly though HP?

Honor Student
luxy615
Message 5 of 11 (7,141 Views)

I have a g61 that will not come on, the lights blink twice letting me know its the system bios, how can i get it to boot up so that i can update it
Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 11 (7,123 Views)

@bluekygal57

Are you restarting the laptop with the Recovery Disk in the drive?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
luxy615
Message 7 of 11 (7,116 Views)

No i don't have a recovery disk
Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 11 (7,115 Views)

@luxy615

Try a hard reset, works sometimes.Disconnect all external devices first.

1-remove power cord and battery

2-press power button for 30 seconds

3-reinstall only power cord for first startup.

4-power on

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
luxy615
Message 9 of 11 (7,111 Views)

I've tried that also, nothing happened
Honor Student
bluekygal57
Message 10 of 11 (7,081 Views)

So far nothing helps now after having loaded 21% of the recovery disk, machine froze then said to restart the recovery then I get an error message that "BootMGR is missing, well it wasn't until the disk formatted it off. I want my money back. I think I just got ripped off. The tech staff's solution to my problem is that for $99.00 plus... they will fix my Notebook. I have to pay for shipping it there and I am not sure if they will charge me for shipping back. I just got this Notebook for Christmas last year and have only used it for about six months. I feel betrayed by HP.

very bluekygal57

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation