Question

Top Student
barnyard1970
Message 1 of 7 (3,362 Views)

HP recovery discs not working

hi, in the hope someone can help me, i created recovery discs when i first purchased notebook, 18 months down the road and wanting to restore notebook back to factory settings using the discs i created, i found i couldn't do this and later found i have no recovery partition (have absolutely no idea how i deleted this). i was advised through the forum to order recovery discs from hp, they have arrived today and to my excitement when straight into action following guidelines from HP, i have inserted disc 1, restarted notebook, selected recovery manager and followed instructions, disc 1 kicks in, notebook switchs off and restarts, once desktop is there the disc stops, sorry this is long winded, any help would be grateful 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 7 (3,355 Views)

Re: HP recovery discs not working

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are trying to reinstall ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
barnyard1970
Message 3 of 7 (3,347 Views)

hi, thanks for the reply, details below as requeted

memory test - pass

hard drive test - hard disk Quick (303)

windows 7 64 bit

model no. presario cq62

product no. wt646ea#abu

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 7 (3,336 Views)

Hi,

The 303 error is a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced - this is also consistent with the issues you describe.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
barnyard1970
Message 5 of 7 (3,299 Views)

hi, i no longer have warranty, i would be grateful for any advice on how to replace hard drive, thanks again, john

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 7 (3,292 Views)

Hi John,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 52 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
Saad_Shaikh
Message 7 of 7 (2,299 Views)

Hello everyone,

I recently bought hp Pavilion dv6 6c43cl laptop with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with COA sticker at the bottom of the laptop. Immediately I made the 5 recovery disk when I bring the laptop. After making disk I saw that there was only one partition of 700 GB that C: partition therefore I made two more partition for my stuff to be saved after that I tried to make a clean install of my windows from my recovery disk because some hp softwares were not working correctly but when I reboot the laptop and pressed F9 and then selected run from dvd Windows start loading files and then show a message RECOVERY MEDIA NOT SUPPORTED THIS COMPUTER my recovery partition was also not working. After all this mess my BootManager corrupted so I decided to make a clean install of Windows 7 32 bit from one of the disk I already have but on 32 bit version my laptop is only using 2.72 GB RAM out of 8GB. I am from Pakistan so I cannot order hp disk.

Please help me what to do?.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation