Hard disk test failed, start up test failed, (5771 Views)
Honor Student
Johnnymc57
Message 1 of 3 (5,771 Views)

Hard disk test failed, start up test failed,

My computer fell on the floor when table overturned. When restarting, windows does not start. Instead I see Disk Read Error occurred -press ctrl+alt+del to restart. When I get to startup menu I am able to run system diagnostics. The results - Hard Disk failed, Smart Check passed, Memory Test passed, Start Up failed, Short dst failed (failure ID:ME0962-5145PP-XD0021-60V203.
I am able to get to System Recovery and it seems to be reloading windows files, but then freezes. The Internet connection seems to be connected, but I am unable do anything with it. Any thoughts or ideas?
Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 3 (5,761 Views)

Re: Hard disk test failed, start up test failed,

The Short DST error means hard drive has failed and your only option is to replace hard drive on the Notebook and use below link to order recovery disks for your Notebook

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00810334

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
Johnnymc57
Message 3 of 3 (5,617 Views)

Re: Hard disk test failed, start up test failed,

Replaced hard disk. Unable to get a recovery disk pack. Tried installing windows xp from old disk and it appeared to load files, but when starting windows, error message tells me windows stopped and to check for virus, remove installed disk, chech disk for errors, proper termination, and bios setup data. What can I do now?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation