Question

Student
oldhokie
Message 1 of 12 (2,576 Views)

Hard drive replaced

dv4-2165dx, windows 7, 64 bit.  Original HD was 500GB.  It failed and I replaced with a 320GB. (I don't need 500GB) I installed recovery disk that I made when unit was purchased 7/19/10.  When I ran "factoy reset", I got a message: "The hard drive of this computer is smaller than the original shipped hardware.  The process cannot continue."  What now?  All test on new HD passed.  I have now ordered HP Recovery Disk.  Will this solve my problem?  Thanks for any help/advice.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 12 (2,574 Views)

Re: Hard drive replaced

Hi,

I believe you will probably get the same error with the replacement Recovery Discs, but there is a work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you have access to this, just use the retail disc to perform the installation, enter the activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers you may need can be found Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
phyrrus
Message 3 of 12 (2,562 Views)

sir, you are amazing. 

anyway, my consig sys file on my pavilion was corrupted.  by the internet, right.  it served me well.  i called hp and they said they would send me a new hard drive complete with os and drivers as orig..  if i paid them $100.  i did and the hard drive arrived a few days later and was installed to their directions.  i plugged the laptop in and the bios loaded or something but then shortly thereafter a message appeared on the screen saying there "was no operating system, ~.  i have disks that i own for small business server and put the first disk in and the cd spun but did not come up with an installation screen. 

any suggestions?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 12 (2,556 Views)

Hi phyrrus,

What is the full Model No. and Part No. of your notebook ( this should be on the service tag underneath your machine )?

What is the full version of the operating system you are trying to install ( ie Windows Vista 64bit )?

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
phyrrus
Message 5 of 12 (2,550 Views)

hp pavilion, dv6000

part no. rg253ua#aba

windows small business server 2003; it was included with a server i bought from dell which is at my son's being reformatted.  he has the original disks.  i have ones i burned from them.  i have the product key.  the laptop came with windows xp media center ecition 2005.  if i can download or acquire a copy of the original operating system the product key is still on the back of the laptop. 

thanks

Howard

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 12 (2,547 Views)

Hi Howard,

HP don't stock Recovery Discs for machines shipped before 2006, but it may be worth checking with them as follows.

Try to order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, try ordering them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If it turns out that HP no longer stock these discs, if you live in the US, they are available Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
phyrrus
Message 7 of 12 (2,541 Views)

i ordered the recovery discs from computersurgeons.  should i reinstall the old hard drive or will the discs be read by the computer though there is not an operating system.  would i have to boot from the cd drive or would i have to install a driver for the cd and then proceed with the install. 

that was a great link to computersurgeons.  amazing.  let me know if i can help with your efforts.   

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 12 (2,537 Views)

Hi,

Leave the new Hard Drive in, start the notebook, insert the first Recovery Disc and restart the notebook - this will cause it to boot from the recovery disc and start the installation of the operating system on the new Hard Drive.  There are no additional driver required.  You should have your operating system back within the hour - then it's just a matter of all the Windows Updates that will need to be applied :smileyhappy:

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
phyrrus
Message 9 of 12 (2,529 Views)

i will do as instructed.  will let you know outcome. 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 12 (2,527 Views)

Hi,

Ok, look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation