Question

Honor Student
Pnut00
Message 1 of 4 (5,449 Views)

Help Reinstalling recovery manager on Pavilion DV6

Hi there,

my son has apparently managed to uninstall the recovery manager from his Pavilion dv6-105ax, now we need to do a system wipe and we can't access the recovery image. I can see the space on the drive for the recovery image via the admin tools, but am having trouble accessing it. I have tried

1. rebooting and pressing f11, it comes up with "F11 Recovery Manager" for a few seconds and the boots normally to windows. Am i missing something here? Should it not bring up a menu of actions?

2. downloaded and install the recovery manager, but when installing it asks for a password. What password is this? And why is it needed when it is just accessing an image on my drive?

Can anyone please help me with this ASAP? The computer is supposed to be sold and i need to wipe it before giving it to the next owner.

Thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (5,445 Views)

Re: Help Reinstalling recovery manager on Pavilion DV6

Hi,

If you have created your set of Recovery DVDs, use these to reinstall the operating system.

If you don't have these discs, there are Two options to try and reinstall Windows - the 2nd is the easiest, but you may want to try the 1st to see if it will save you having to order a replacement set of discs - make sure to back-up any important files first.

1.  Boot in to Windows, hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click Disk Management in the left pane and when the partitions have loaded, right click the Recovery Partition and mark it as 'Active'.  Close all open windows and then restart - if this has worked, the notebook will boot from the Recovery Partition upon restart.

2.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Pnut00
Message 3 of 4 (5,440 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions. On closer look there is a 100MB partition marked as "system reserved" which i had assumed was the recovery part, but 100MB is pretty small for that so i presume this is something else?

i followed the links below but can not see which option i need to use for contacting the help desk, are they all the same? (i ask as some have different options listed for say email contact compared to self help)

thanks

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 4 of 4 (5,439 Views)

if the D drive is wiped, you will need to contact HP to order recovery media to put it back to factory settings. You just need to pay the shipping
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation