Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv2 Notebook
Microsoft Windows Vista

Because of problems with d/l & installing Vista updates, I decided to use my HP recovery disks to restore my notebook to factory condition. That seemed to be the most logical approach to accomplishing several tasks, such as removing a 2nd user & general cleanup of data files, etc. I bought this particular computer (way back when) mainly because it was physically small enough to fit in my backpack for use when I'm traveling abroad (to download, review & backup images). I should have more thoroughly investigated speed, memory, etc before buying, but that's water under the bridge.

Vista reloaded w/o problems, except that it took a couple of hours of babysitting, because I'd never done that before & didn't know when/if my input might be needed.

Anyway, because of the time involved, I thought I'd create system images at various stages along this restore process . . . as shipped from factory; after installing all Windows updates; after installing "major programs" (PhotoshopCS6 & Microsoft Office); etc. I recently for the 1st time went thru the system imaging process (creating, not loading) on my Windows7 desktop computer.

I was surprised to learn that system imaging isn't built into Vista. I'm told 3rd party software is required. My requirements are simple: I'd like to copy (mirror image) the 1 physical disk (partitioned C & D) & be able to restore & be up & running quickly, if necessary.

I also have an even older XP laptop, used only for scanning slides. That's not really high priority, but it would be great if I could find imaging software that will run on XP.

I've googled, but I'm really unqualified to judge what I've found. Even some free ones sound good. Obviously, price is a concern because this will (hopefully) be little used software.

I use Second Copy for syncing my data backups on my desktop computer & will probably start using it on the notebook too.

Does anyone have recommendations for system imaging software?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Macrium has worked very well for me and others I have suggested it to.From XP-Windows 7.Haven't tested on Windows 8 yet. On my to-do list this weekend.

You can create a bootable cd to boot from and restore the Image even on a non-booting hdd. I use an external usb hdd for images and it is usually quite fast to restore an image.

The other two I mentioned have been recommended as working quite good as well- I just haven't tried them because I have been using Macrium for past 5-6 yrs. I like it so well that I bought the paid version for one laptop to test, but the free version does almost as much and I use it on other computers in the house.If it doesn't suit your needs one of the other two should.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

3 free imaging softwares that have been recommended by members here:. There are others of course.

http://www.aomeitech.com/download.html

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx  (I have used this)

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Custom-Recovery-Options/m-p/329...

HP Recommended

Thanks, Cheryl  

I've decided to try Macrium Reflect based on your having used it

AND

its current Version: (6.0.753) is dated 21 July 2015 . . . only 4 days ago.

HP Recommended

Macrium has worked very well for me and others I have suggested it to.From XP-Windows 7.Haven't tested on Windows 8 yet. On my to-do list this weekend.

You can create a bootable cd to boot from and restore the Image even on a non-booting hdd. I use an external usb hdd for images and it is usually quite fast to restore an image.

The other two I mentioned have been recommended as working quite good as well- I just haven't tried them because I have been using Macrium for past 5-6 yrs. I like it so well that I bought the paid version for one laptop to test, but the free version does almost as much and I use it on other computers in the house.If it doesn't suit your needs one of the other two should.

HP Recommended

Thanks again, Cheryl.  I am in the middle of reloading program, data, etc on my newly built Win7 desktop.  I'm not a guru & spend (probably too much) time reading everything before clicking.  It's a slow process (for several reasons), but I'm getting there.  Then in the middle of all that Murphy decided to throw in some notebook problems, so I'm working on 2 computers at once, documenting everything along the way.

I will mark this problem solved.  If anything comes up that I question or don't fully understand, I'll repost.

Thanks again for your quick replies.

HP Recommended

OK, I've installed Macrium.  The interface looks pretty straight forward, but I have a question . . .

My goal is simple.  I want to create a mirror image (exact copy) of my C & D drives (2 partitions on 1 physical drive), so that I can later (if necessary) reload/restore my computer to the exact condition as exist now.

On Macrium's opening screen, "Disk Image" & "Create a backup" tabs, my C & D drives are auto selected.  That's what I want.

Below that are 2 choices . . . "Clone this disk" . . . "Image this disk". 

Which do I choose?  Please define each of these choices.

Thanks

HP Recommended

You choose "Image this  disk" to create an image that can be restored later. The clone is normally when you are doing an exact copy of the hdd to another hdd -such as  you were replacing the hdd now and wanted to copy it to new one.

HP Recommended

Thanks. "Image" is what I want now. But doesn't that imply that long-term, I might need both? There's no way of knowing whether my next disaster will be corrupted data/software or a crashed disk.

HP Recommended

Not really. The Image will be good tomorrow or next year. It can be used to restore the laptop to the condition it was in when made. This image can be restored to original hdd or a new one.

The clone function would be used if you were changing the hdd and wanted to copy the old over to it.Basically same a restoring an image-but you must have the new hdd hooked up and waiting for the clone to take place. An image will be ready when you need it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.