Question

Honor Student
Resitis
Message 1 of 4 (244 Views)

Hp pavilion dv6-6150ev!!How to format my laptop?

[ Edited ]

I would like to know if its possible to completely erase everything from my HP dv6-6150ev and return to it's factory state.I have had some recoveries but thats not what im looking for as there are always some files that didn't get erased....and there is always a folder named windows.old!i just want to start over again from zero....!!!thanks a lot!I have windows 7 64-bit!

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 4 (231 Views)

Re: Hp pavilion dv6-6150ev!!How to format my laptop?

[ Edited ]

Please see Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) for instructions on recovering your computer to a factory like state. The "Factory Reset" option appear to be the one you wish to use.

1) System Recovery: This option reformats the system drive (usually the "C" drive), reinstalls the original operating system, and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. System Recovery does not impact user created partitions. If there are two hard drives, System Recovery modifies only the drive with the operating system.

2) Factory Reset: Factory Reset removes all partitions, reformats the entire hard drive, reinstalls the original operating system, and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. This option also recreates the required Recovery partition (usually "D" drive) and UEFI partition (usually "E" drive) and reinstalls the required software. The Factory Reset option returns all of the notebook's software to the condition it was in at the time of purchase. All user changes or additions are removed.

Either of the above methods should erase all user data on the "C" drive, and the Factory Reset should complete erase all partitions and recreate the factory install. System Recovery / Factory Reset can be started as follows;

1) Recovery from within Windows 7
2) Recovery from the startup screen (during system boot)
3) Recovery from recovery discs or USB flash drive

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
Resitis
Message 3 of 4 (226 Views)

Thanks for answering so fast...!!!unfortunately though there is no such thing as <<recovery manager>> on my laptop or i cant find it the way it's demonstrated in the video.Plus by using my windows 7 professional 64-bit disc for recovery,it doesn't seem to erase everything as i would like.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 4 (218 Views)

Using a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit disc is going to install Windows 7, not recovery the original factory installation. When you first setup your computer, you should have created your personal HP Recovery Media. If you didn't create the HP Recovery Media, please contact official HP support in your region / country, via the HP Worldwide Support Portal, to see if HP Recovery Media is available for your computer.

Alternatively, you can install Windows 7 Professional using your disc, and perform a custom or "clean" install. A clean install will erase everything from the partition you install it on. There will be no "windows.old" folder or anything but a new virgin installation. This method doesn't provide any HP customization or HP value-added software that was originally installed on your computer. Additionally, you will need to download and install all hardware drivers to make the computer fully functional.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation