Question

Tutor
NateY3K
Message 1 of 9 (285 Views)
Accepted Solution

I don't have a partition, does this mean I can't factory reset my Win764bit HP-2000-412NR computer?

[ Edited ]

My drives got wiped, my E:\ and D:\. I needed to reintsall my audio drivers, so I uninstalled them, but when I went to reinstall them, it didn't work. Now I just want to completely factory reset my computer. How do I do this with a Recovery Partition?

I have another comuter exactly like mine. Could I harvest anything from that computer to mine?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 9 (269 Views)

Re: I don't have a partition, does this mean I can't factory reset my Win764bit HP-2000-412NR comput

[ Edited ]

If the other PC is exactly like it, then you can use the recovery disk set that you created for it to reinstall the operating system and applications.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
NateY3K
Message 3 of 9 (251 Views)

Re: I don't have a partition, does this mean I can't factory reset my Win764bit HP-2000-412NR comput

I don't have a disk :smileysad: Could I just copy and paste the files? I know I can, I just uncheck "Hide System Files". But would that work?

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 9 (237 Views)

Burn a Recovery DVD set on the working laptop:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01867124

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
NateY3K
Message 5 of 9 (228 Views)

That works great, but I don't have a 17 GB thumb drive like it's telling me to have. The E:\ is only 3GB and I have a 4GB. Is there any way for me to do something to the bare minimum of 4GB? I know that I can download (leagally) 3.1GB .ISO files that I can reinstall Windows 7 in, but I don't know how. If I do, then all I need is to get the E:\ from the other computer onto mine, correct?

Tutor
NateY3K
Message 6 of 9 (195 Views)

Ok, so I've decided to buy the $15 recovery disk. Once I get that, what do I do? I don't have the original OS on my computer. Anything would be helpful!

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 7 of 9 (177 Views)

Re: I don't have a partition, does this mean I can't factory reset my Win764bit HP-2000-412NR computer?

Hello NateY3k,

When you receive the disks, you want to turn the computer on and insert the first one and then turn the computer off. Wait about 10 seconds and then turn the computer back on and it should load from the disks.

Here is a link that will also help you with the process, when you open the link click on “recovery from recovery discs”, and that should also help a little bit.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience with anymore questions.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Tutor
NateY3K
Message 8 of 9 (170 Views)

Ok. Thank you for that.

Now, one last thing. I know for a fact that Windows 7 64bit Home Premium is 3.1GB. Why do I need a minimum of 17GB to extract a recovery from another computer? Not complaining, just wondering whether it's bloatware or legit HP stuff in that extra 13GB

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 9 (165 Views)

Drivers,software and yes..a bit of bloat as well.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation