Question

Honor Student
gshelhoss
Message 1 of 4 (405 Views)

I don't have my administrative password; how do I reset my Pavilion dv6 to original FACTORY setting?

My HP Pavilion dv6 1253cl had an administrator set up a while ago and I can't seem to remember the password. Also, I did not set up a password reset disk before because I did not know about it until now. I have tried "restoring it to an earlier time," but it didn't solve my problem. I have heard that you can reset the computer back to its original factory setting, but I don't know how to. How might I reset it to its original factory setting?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (389 Views)

Re: I don't have my administrative password; how do I reset my Pavilion dv6 to original FACTORY sett

Hi,

You should be able to reset your Admin password as follows.

Using another PC, download the application on the following link and save it to your Downloads folder.

PC Login Now

When the download has completed, open your Downloads folder and double-click the installer - this will result in another file appearing which is the disc image ( .ISO ) that you need to burn to a CD.

You will now need to use an application such as ImgBurn to burn this ISO correctly to a blank CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.

Insert the CD into the notebook you can't log in to and restart to boot from the disc.

There is a good guide on using this application available Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
gshelhoss
Message 3 of 4 (383 Views)

Re: I don't have my administrative password; how do I reset my Pavilion dv6 to original FACTORY sett

I have successfully downloaded up to the IOS file and when I tried to download the ImgBurn system, Norton Antivirus told me that it had a high risk of a virus on the file. What do you recommend?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (368 Views)

Hi,

I've no idea why Norton should flag ImgBurn as a possible threat - it's a well respected application.  However, if you're using Windows 7, this can natively burn Image files as described in the following link.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2009/04/13/burn-iso-images-natively-i...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation