Question

Student
k910192130
Message 1 of 4 (2,044 Views)

Keyboard stopped working on HP Pavilion Dv7, Startup repair won't work

My keyboard won't work on my HP Pavilion Dv7 laptop.  I have Windows 7 64 bit.   Startup repair and system recovery won't work and I have no disc for it.  When I start up the laptop it won't go past the Startup repair screen and won't allow me to start up the laptop normally.  I also can't get into the safe mode screen as the arrow keys won't work.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 4 (2,011 Views)

Re: Keyboard stopped working on HP Pavilion Dv7, Startup repair won't work

Hello K910192130,

I understand you state your keyboard is not functioning, is that correct? I will do all I can to help you with this issue.

Again, because it’s the keyboard malfunctioning these steps may not work.

1.       Locate the F10 key on the keyboard.

2.       Turn the computer on and tap the F10 immediately.

3.       If successful you should see a setup utility screen.

4.       Now the only way to navigate is by using the arrow keys.

What is different about this environment is that it eliminates all outside factors that could be also causing the issue to occur.

If I have been helpful or if you'd like to say thank you for me trying to help, click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. I really appreciate it.

Please respond at your earliest convenience with your results.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Student
REKLAWMOT
Message 3 of 4 (1,706 Views)

I did as you said, but once I open in safe mode, my arrow keys do not work, and I can not move out of normal start up which atrer 20 starts and I am back to square one, with the police virius stuck on my computer, what now

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 4 of 4 (1,657 Views)

@ REKLAWMOT,

Which keys on your keyboard don’t work?

Also can you provide the model number for the computer you have, if you’re not sure where to locate that infomatin have a look at this document to help.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation