Question

Top Student
harborview7
Message 1 of 16 (24,562 Views)
Accepted Solution

Low disk space on recovery disk (d) drive

Okay, I am so tired of receiving Low Disk Space on recovery (D). I have done everything it asked. Empty Recycle Bin which is EMPTY. I am not a computer wizard but it seems unfair that I have pay over $150.00 year to correct this problem once a year. I have checked a lot of places and it just keeps telling me the same thing. That doesn't work. Can someone explain to me in English (plain) how to correct this problem.

I did just install a HP wireless printer 3052A

Pick6@verizon.net

HP Pavilion dv6000

Windows Vista (home version)

Intern
AmberB
Message 2 of 16 (24,557 Views)

Re: Low disk space on recovery disk (d) drive

[ Edited ]

Do you have the D: drive selected in system restore?

If your computer is saving restore points for D: this could cause it to use up disk space for no apparent reason.

Look for a folder called "System Volume Information" at the root of D:

I am assuming you don't use the D: drive to store any personal files or swap files...

Top Student
harborview7
Message 3 of 16 (24,548 Views)

I read what you suggested but I don't know what to do with what you suggested

Intern
AmberB
Message 4 of 16 (24,543 Views)

To modify system protection settings:

1. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". The window should show the version, processor, etc.
  2. In the left pane, click System protectionIf you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. In the box that lists available drives, see if D: is "on" or "off". If it is "on", select it and click "configure"
  4. Select "Turn off system protection". This will remove the system restore points just for the D Drive.
  5. Hit OK to close the settings windows.

This is how I do it on Windows 7 Home Premium. If your version is different, the options might not be the same as these.

I hope this helps.

Top Student
harborview7
Message 5 of 16 (24,534 Views)

I have done what you have said but dont know if it worked

Top Student
harborview7
Message 6 of 16 (24,533 Views)

It didnt work

Intern
AmberB
Message 7 of 16 (24,528 Views)

I am sorry. If System Restore is not filling up your drive, it is either a user or a virus using disk space on D.

From the factory, the recovery partition has enough free space to prevent these messages from occurring.

If you have not been placing files on the D drive, and a virus scan comes up clean, you can probably just disable the notifications all together.

If you are comfortable with editing the registry, you can follow the steps listed at the links below:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/dislowdisk.htm

If you are not comfortable editing the registry, you can make a file that will automatically make the changes for you.

Open notepad, and copy/paste the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Policies\\Explorer]
 "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001

Then save it as a .reg file ["save as..." -> Save as type: "all files *.* " -> File name: "nolowdiskspacechecks.reg"]

Double click on the file you just saved and it will import the setting to the registry for you.

Student
isaacsh06
Message 8 of 16 (22,570 Views)

I had that issue as well but I followed the instructions and it worked--

Did you increased the drive space? Increase the space and see if it work--My irritating problem has been solved.

Good luck

Student
MohamedGX
Message 9 of 16 (14,774 Views)

How do I increase the drive space?

Honor Student
nowyouseeme
Message 10 of 16 (10,001 Views)

I clicked on proprties and did not see any available drive to configure, where should I look into this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation