Question

Top Student
golabp
Message 1 of 9 (491 Views)

Need a recovery disk

Im located in Canada, for some reason I can't order the recovery disk for my HP6958se, but you can order it from the USA.

Can someone please help me ship one in Canada? Maybe someone in the US.

My partition fails the recovery process - so I am only able to restore my laptop with a recovery disk.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 9 (469 Views)

Re: Need a recovery disk

You should try to copy the swsetup folder from the recovery partition go another drive or flash drive.  That has all the software and drivers for you unit.  You can download a copy of a windows install disk that will allow you to use the HP Microsoft 25 digit key code for the operating system.  You would have to remove all the 4 partitions and have a clean drive before you install.  The windows 7 disk can do that.  You wouldn't have a recovery partition or the utilities partition but you would have a windows installation disk so you wouldn't need the recovery partition:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 3 of 9 (468 Views)

Tell me about the failed recovery.  Did you remove the hard drive and attach it to a desktop machine and run check disk on it?  Did you download the manufacturer's hard drive test and run it against the drive to see if it would correct any bad sectors?  Can you get the F11 to start the recovery process?

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Top Student
golabp
Message 4 of 9 (437 Views)

Ok I should give some details.

My computer would hang, just sit there and almost freeze but I could move the mouse pointer around, it just seemed to hang and not do anything - it did not do this in safe mode. So I hooked up my external drive and transfered about 6GB from the laptop to my HD.

Then I ran recovery through F11. After it formated my drive the reinstall failed - some #Error. It would then reboot and say Bootmgr is missing. So I did F2 and tested the primary - the result was #10009 - Bad Disk.

Now I am not convinced it is a bad harddrive only because the laptop ran fine in safe mode, i just transfered all that content, and the laptop never crashed nor made strange noises - it would just hang randomly.

I can still load into F11 to the recovery process but the same error stops the operation.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 5 of 9 (424 Views)

It sounds like you do have a bad disk to me.  You can use another computer to download the manufacturer's hard drive test and run it against that drive to be sure.

Top Student
golabp
Message 6 of 9 (409 Views)

why would you say a bad disk? is it the result of the test i mentioned or something else?

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 7 of 9 (406 Views)

The only way you will know for sure is to download the manufacturer's hard drive test and run it against the drive.

Top Student
golabp
Message 8 of 9 (327 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am not sure how you would do that, I don't think I have the hardware capable to do it on my own. And where do you get the manufacturer's test downloaded?

My computer serial and product number are as follows:

s/n: {Removed for privacy}

p/n: fe831ua

Top Student
golabp
Message 9 of 9 (326 Views)

also i can not order a recovery disk in Canada, anyone know where I can get used ones online or somewhere else? can someone order 1 for me?

regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation