New windows 7 installation won't detect my hard drive even though my bios does. on dm4t-1000. (3469 Views)
Top Student
hmmmmmm
Message 1 of 13 (3,469 Views)

New windows 7 installation won't detect my hard drive even though my bios does. on dm4t-1000.

i have a dm4 for two years now. a few months ago my my windows failed to boot. and my recovery drive got corrupted. i just installed ubuntu on a new partition leaving everything entact. recently i decided to reinstall windows. but the problem is the setup can't detect my hard drive even though the bios does. what should i do? i really need windows as i am fed up with ubuntu as it can't handle the temperature conrols properly and during the summers this units heats up a lot.

Distinguished Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 13 (3,466 Views)

Re: New windows 7 installation won't detect my hard drive even though my bios does. on dm4t-1000.

Hi

Are you trying to use Recovery partition or Recovery disc to do a recovery as you informed that partition was corrupted on your unit. Please contact HP Technical support and order for a new recovery disc or click on the weblink given below to order the disc.

Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP

Incase you have created a disc and trying to reinstall operating system using disc change the boot order to cd/dvd drive first.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Top Student
hmmmmmm
Message 3 of 13 (3,465 Views)

Re: New windows 7 installation won't detect my hard drive even though my bios does. on dm4t-1000.

no. i used a standard windows 7 home premium 64 bit copy. i also tried the windows 8 consumer preview but the result was the same. as i mentioned before my recovery partition was corrupted. 

Top Student
hmmmmmm
Message 4 of 13 (3,456 Views)

and as i don't live in america, i can't wait for someone else to bring the recovery disc for me. i heard it has something to do with the drivers but i am a noob when it comes to computer.

Distinguished Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 5 of 13 (3,446 Views)

Hi 

As i understand your issue correctly you will require a recovery disc to reinstall OS back on to your unit. As this will cleanly format your hard drive and then install OS back on to your unit that should fix the issue.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Manjunath
Top Student
hmmmmmm
Message 6 of 13 (3,442 Views)

won't the normal windows 7 copy work?

Top Student
hmmmmmm
Message 7 of 13 (3,440 Views)

Will a DV6 3052NR recovery disc work? as far as i understnd they have the same specs

Distinguished Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 8 of 13 (3,440 Views)

Hi

It should work but you will not have the all the driver for the unit. Just try to change the boot order in Bios and have it checked.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Manjunath
Top Student
hmmmmmm
Message 9 of 13 (3,436 Views)

the boot order is fine. i read on this forum that this has got to do something with the sata controller 

Distinguished Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 10 of 13 (3,432 Views)

Hi

If the unit is able to detect the Hard drive in Bios & ubuntu i dont think this could be the issue with contoller check if the same disc works on a different unit that might give you a clear idea.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."

Regards
Manjunath
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation