Question

Top Student
Kristinbodle
Message 1 of 16 (275 Views)

No Windows product key

I am sure this has been asked a million times...  But here goes again..

To start, I dropped my laptop (dv6, not sure on exact model) and it will not boot up.  It owers on ok, but will not load windows.  I tried to google a million solutions and found on here somewhere that if I am getting the 303 error when I try to test the the hd that it is most likely toast.

So, I guess that I need to order a new hd and I have found some on ebay.  Now, my question is.. I assume that I will need to order some windows recovery disks online (can I burn these anywhere?  we have several other computers that I could use for this).  But, once I have the recovery disks, how can I install windows if the product key on the sticker is not readable?  I actually have no idea how to use the recovery disks either, but I am hoping there is a walk through someplace for that too.

I tried to use ubuntu to recover info on my hd with no luck so I do not know if there is any way to get the product key from the computer itself? 

Please keep in mind that I am SUPER green when it comes to all of this, but I am really trying to avoid having to take this somewhere and pay anymore for my mistake :smileysad:

BUT... I do also have another older HP (different model) that is dead that has a windows 7 key, can I just use that key?  Thanks in advance!  Kristin

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 16 (265 Views)

Re: No Windows product key

[ Edited ]

Hi Kristin,

You will need to order a set of Recovery Discs from HP ( unfortunately there is no download option and recovery discs are specific to the notebook model ) - see the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

Using these discs to reinstall windows will not require you to enter a Product Key - activation will be automatic.

A guide on using Recovery Discs to reinstall Windows can be seen on the following link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01867418#N720

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
banhien
Message 3 of 16 (263 Views)

Hi,

1. You have to order from HP, you can't download then burn from anywhere. Actually nowhere to download.

2. The set will fix the product key for you,

3. Instructions should come with the set and very simple, boot from DVD then follow instructions on the screen,

4. You can't use key from other machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 16 (262 Views)

Hi, Kristin:

What is the full model number of your dv6?

If you do not know, please enter the product number in the applicable box at the link below and you will be directed to the support and driver page for your notebook?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

Is the error you are getting stating in substance "Hard drive does not exist?," or some other text description?

There could be two or 3 possible issues if you are getting a hard drive does not exist error.

1. The hard drive was damaged in the fall.

2. If your notebook has a connector cable from the sata controller on the motherboard to the hard drive, it may have been knocked loose in the fall, and there is nothing wrong with the hard drive and the cable connections just have to be checked.

3. If the hard drive is not connected to the motherboard drive controller with a cable, the drive controller was damaged in the fall which would be bad.

But without knowing your full model number, I cannot link you to the service manual or if you can order recovery disks for your model.

You don't normally need the product key if you use recovery disks to reinstall the operating system.

No one (HP or Microsoft) will do anything about the worn product key.

Top Student
Kristinbodle
Message 5 of 16 (257 Views)

Thanks so much!  I can not remember exactly what it said... I can check again, but there were no cables that were disconnected.  (I assume that you mean the one that you pull up with the tab on them?)  again, I am not very computer literate when it comes to hardware issues.  (or software for that matter!)

I did try to take out the hd, and reconnect just in case but no luck there. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 16 (249 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

We need the model # and see what the service manual shows.

The connector cable that may be dislocated would be inside the PC (where you can't see it).

It is most likely the hard drive is bad but you may want to rule out something simple before buying a new hard drive.

Oh, and the product number for your PC can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

Top Student
Kristinbodle
Message 7 of 16 (240 Views)

The model is dv6-6172nr. Please let me know what I need to do to test to be sure it is the hd, that would be awesome!
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 16 (234 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Below is the link to the support and driver page for your PC.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=5193743&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&task=

The link to the service manual is below.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02842252/c02842252.pdf

Looking at chapter 4, starting on page 62, you will find the hard drive removal and replacement procedures.

There does not appear to be any other cable to remove but the one mentioned on page 63.

If you removed and reseated that, and the drive is not working, then most likely the drive is bad.

There is no other way that I know of to check if something else is bad unless you install another sata notebook hard drive, and test it.

Since you have to use recovery disks to install a new hard drive (unless you buy a whole new copy of Windows 7), you need to purchase a hard drive of at least the same size storage capacity (750 GB) as the one that has presumably died on you, or the recovery disks will not work.

Below is the link to order recovery disks. Click on the link below, and then click on the link labeled Order Recovery Media.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5193...

Top Student
Kristinbodle
Message 9 of 16 (229 Views)

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 16 (223 Views)

I would not recommend getting a refurbished one.

Get a new one with a decent warranty for just a little more $$$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W00YW3535

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation