PC shut off all of a sudden, will not reboot in any mode. (1933 Views)
Tutor
ogalasso
Message 1 of 30 (1,933 Views)

PC shut off all of a sudden, will not reboot in any mode.

My computer is an HP Pavilion g6- 1a75dx. (I am obviously using another computer).

I was in the middle of some work when all of a sudden the computer shut off. I restart it, and I continue to have trouble. I tried to restore the computer to an earlier date but the computer ends up shutting off again in the middle of the system restore. When I go to restart for a 5th time, I get a blue screen that says something has gone wrong and the compute shut down improperly. The screen is not up long enough for me to read what all is on it. I get a list of numbers at the bottom that scroll fast. Somewhere it says BIOS update (or something). I keep getting the blue screen each time I log into a different mode (safe mode, safe mode w/command prompt, safe mode w/networking, etc...) My computer will not open in any mode now!! I cannot even run the recovery disc. I did try doing a hard restart (taking battery out, press start button, etc...). Did not work. I also tried to go in to BIOS management, it says it failed to load (or something similar to that), I did the F12 thing and got into the system management to get to the BIOS. Im not sure what else to do, run a hard disk test?? PLEASE HELP!!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 30 (1,905 Views)

Re: PC shut off all of a sudden, will not reboot in any mode.

Run the hard disk and memory tests.

Also, clean the fan and heatsink before you run the tests

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01657439

Since recovery failed during the process Windows will not load because it did not finish the process, this is normal, clean the fan and heatsink, then run the tests, post back any messages or errors from the tests, then we can try to get Windows loaded again.

Tutor
ogalasso
Message 3 of 30 (1,895 Views)

I ran the tests (after I posted the first message) and they all came back as PASSED. I will do what you suggested and get back to you!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 30 (1,880 Views)

You have 2 problems, the unexpected shutdown and since system restore was interrupted now you have a blue screen problem, this will be hard to solve in a forum setting.

First you have to find out why it is shutting down unexpectedly and fix that issue, once that is solved you need to do the system restore over again.

Overheating is one common cause of unexpected shutdowns, try cleaning the fan

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01657439

if this does not help the shutdown issue it will need to be serviced by a professional.

Tutor
ogalasso
Message 5 of 30 (1,870 Views)

I ceaned the fan, the computer shuts down when I hit ENTER after logging in (again, i have a password set)

I did manage to do a a start-up repair w/out the comp shutting down half way through. This was in the detailed diagnosis and repair:

Root Cause Found:

Boot critical file d:\windows/system32\kdcom.dll is corrupt.

Repair action: File Repair

Result: Failed. Error Code= 0x490

Time Taken:5460ms

Repair Action: system restore

result: Completed successfully. Error Code= 0x0.

I also get a message::

Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

**any of this help you??**

I appreciate your help!!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 30 (1,866 Views)

Use F8 at boot time to get the Windows advanced screen, then choose "repair your computer" from the list and hit enter, Windows recovery environment should load, if it tries to repair, cancel it and continue to load the WinRE tools, once at the tools menu select command prompt and run the system file checker as described in this article.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-sfc-offline-windows-7-vista/

see if SFC can replace the corrupted files, when SFC is done (may take a while) close all windows and reboot, see if windows loads.

Tutor
ogalasso
Message 7 of 30 (1,864 Views)

for the first sfc link it says to put in command prompt (sfc /scanfile=d:\windows\system32\zipfldr.dll /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows) it tells me:: "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

Tutor
ogalasso
Message 8 of 30 (1,863 Views)

i ran the sfc again as the above prompt requested. using sfc /scanfile=d:\windows\system32\zipfldr.dll /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Do  I do a startup repair or system restore now?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 9 of 30 (1,860 Views)

[ Edited ]

run sfc again, try this command, sorry I should have said to run the second command in that article.

sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\Windows

Tutor
ogalasso
Message 10 of 30 (1,851 Views)

Okay--did that, when I hit ENTER,,a scrolled a list of things. talks about scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct microsoft versions. This has ::

SFC [/SANNOW] [VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>]..etc...

After all this is give me

X:\windows\system32>

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation