Question

Intern
Bill-1234
Message 1 of 12 (1,072 Views)

Pavilion dv7 won't start after HDD replacement.

I had the hard drive failure in my Pavilion dv71448dx, right before it shut down the screen said the hard drive about to fail and then I watched it shut down. The laptop was only one month out of warranty.

So I bought a replacement HDD (WD3200BEKT) to replace the Spinpoint M6 320 that came with the computer, I installed it today, but when I tried to power up the computer, it would not stay on.

The fixes I saw on the internet suggested I press the f-12 key when starting the laptop or unplugging the power cord and removing the battery and pressing the power button for 30 seconds and then reinstalling the battery and cord and then trying it again. I did just as they said but I still cannot boot-up.

It's not like it does nothing, it appears to be starting for a second (you can hear the fan kick on) but it only shuts off again after 2 seconds sometimes less.

Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 12 (1,062 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7 won't start after HDD replacement.

This may be an obvious thing , but you didn't mention it. Did you boot from your HP recovery discs to reinstall the OS on your new hard drive ?

However even with no OS on the drive you still should see the HP logo come up, did it appear ?

Intern
Bill-1234
Message 3 of 12 (1,039 Views)

No, it does'nt stay on that long.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 12 (1,033 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but you still didn't answer one of my questions :

Did you boot from your HP recovery discs to reinstall the OS on your new hard drive  ?

The new hard drive has no operating system on it, you will have to reinstall it from a set of recovery discs for your model or you can put a retail version on it if you like.

There are free downloads of W7 that you can burn to disc that will work, but it will have to be the exact same version that you have (had) on your machine so your W7 product will work when it comes time to activate it.

Keep in mind that with a retail version you will manually have to install all your drivers, it would much easier to contact HP and order a set of recovery discs.

Intern
Bill-1234
Message 5 of 12 (1,009 Views)

Yes, I used a paper clip to open the optical drive and put in the recovery disc I bought from HP. I think  the recovery disc doesn't have time to run because the machine won't stay on more than a second or two. The LEDs are lighted when the power cord is plugged in and I've pressed f-12 while starting it.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 12 (997 Views)

Hopefully it will be this simple.

Open the DVD drawer with the paper clip as you did before and insert your first recovery DVD _ close the drawer.

Boot up and immediately start tapping the f9 key (not f12). You should have an option there to boot from DVD/CD ROM use your arrow keys to select the ROM drive and hit enter.

You may be prompted to hit any key to boot from the recovery DVD, but because it's a new drive with unallocated space, it should just start the recovery process.

Keep an eye on it and follow the prompts on the screen. Give yourself a god 2 to 5 hours of time, usually I recover a lap top on a rainy Sunday while a putter around the house.  :smileyhappy:

Intern
Bill-1234
Message 7 of 12 (989 Views)

So it seems like you've seen this problem before?

Thanks!

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 12 (984 Views)

Well lets hope this works, if it doesn't it may be the motherboard.

I/we have been discussing it among other members here and it was suggested that the mother board may be gone.

Intern
Bill-1234
Message 9 of 12 (978 Views)

The last thing the computer said before it shutdown was the Hard Drive failure was imminent. 

After I replaced HDD, the next time I tried to boot up I couldn't get it to start. (and I was grounded when I did the change out)

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 12 (974 Views)

You could try my f9 procedure again with one stick of RAM, if still no success, then try the other stick.

I also think Big_Dave suggested somewhere that if you have another laptop to take your new hard drive and try it on a healthy machine. Ounce it's installed you will be able to tap the f10 key to get into the BIOS and run a hard drive test on it. Choose Diagnosis in the heading bar to do this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation