Question

Honor Student
eddyo
Message 1 of 9 (5,255 Views)

Recover .wim files

How do you recover/open .wim files after backing up the hard drive for reboot on an HP note book? Your help would be much appreciated!! Thanks Ed

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 9 (5,239 Views)

Re: Recover .wim files

There should be a Restore.exe or RecoveryMgr.exe in the file backup folder that was created during backup of your files, execute this file and it should uncompress all the files and put them in a folder on the C drive named "System Recovery"

Honor Student
eddyo
Message 3 of 9 (5,226 Views)

It recovered the data files BUT the files are empty when I open them. These files are the .xl and .doc and .jpg files. These are the files I need most. Thanks Ed.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 9 (5,204 Views)

My understanding is 7-Zip can read and extract files from wim images.

You might try maually extracting the folders you need, see if the files are intact.

Honor Student
eddyo
Message 5 of 9 (5,196 Views)

We found out the files were hidden. Everythings good now. Thanks for your help!! Merry Christmas!!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 9 (5,194 Views)

You are welcome, Merry Christmas!

Student
bigEmike
Message 7 of 9 (4,579 Views)

hey idk how old this post is, but i am also experincing these preoblems can you tell me what you did to correct the problem?

many thanks

Student
JJeff
Message 8 of 9 (3,397 Views)

Hi: I have WIM backup files on 4 DVD's I want to restore on my Pavillion laptop, but I only want to restore certain files and not others*.

(* I suspect that an offending program (McAfee) may have caused a conflict (with Norton) that corrupted my start-up file and I don't want to reinstall that program and have the same thing happen again).

When I click Restore.exe on each of the 4 disks and the files uncompress and are copied to a System Recover folder on my hard drive: (a) do these files remain "uninstalled" or do they (especially program .exe's) immediately become active on the hard drive? (b) can I identify and cherrypick the files I want to reinstall on my hard drive? (c) do the files come with their own original folders or do I need to create new folders and directories on my hard drive for them? (d) what's the protocol for copying or moving files, folders and directories to appropriate locations on my hard drive?

Thanks. JJG

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 9 of 9 (3,395 Views)

The recovered files are not put back where they belong, you have to sort through them to find what you deem important and copy them where you want them, no programs are backed up but some program data might be.

files will be in the original named folder where they came from, the new installation of the OS may have most of these folders already, some may have been created when you installed software programs.

Basically the file backup just copies files and folders so you don't lose them during recovery, you have to sort through them and figure out what needs to be done with them, HP backup backs up many folders that are useless, most of your personal files should be in a folder with your old user name in the "users" folder.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation