Question

Honor Student
kmc2770
Message 1 of 15 (8,380 Views)
Accepted Solution

Recovery Discs from HP won't start in my HP Pavilion Dv7

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 that I need to wipe clean due to spyware. I bought the System Recovery DVD's from HP and on them it states "to begin, insert the disc into the optical drive of your computer and follow the on-screen instructions." Unfortunately I insert the disc and I get the info from the disc to come up but no instructions. I have even tried to make the laptop run from the disc drive at start up. when I did that it wanted me to create system recovery discs. I do not need to make them, I have them from HP. Just frustrated on why the disc from HP are not doing as instructed.

Here is a picture of the screen I get when the disc are inserted:

System recovery disc screen.jpg

I really do hope someone can help me I have been waiting to do this for weeks since I had to wait for the discs. 

Thank you,

KC

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 15 (8,376 Views)

Re: Recovery Discs from HP won't start in my HP Pavilion Dv7

Hi:

I think you need to boot from the recovery disk.

Insert the disk in your DVD drive.

Restart the PC.

At the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F9 key.

You will get a one time boot menu.

Select the DVD-ROM drive and hit the enter key.

Then you will see a message...attempting to boot from CD-ROm, Press any key to boot from CD.

Press any key. I like the enter key because it is big and I can't miss it.

Now, you should get instructions from the recovery DVD.

Make sure you backed up all of your files because this will erase your current installation and all files once you proceed.

Paul

Honor Student
kmc2770
Message 3 of 15 (8,369 Views)

Paul, I will try it again, I did this once but it came up for me to make recovery disks from the Recovery Manager is what started when I tried from the cd rom.

The part you said to "hit a key start from cd" I didn't get that message so, i will try again and let you know.

thank you for the warning of backing up everything, this is why it has taken me a while to get this done, I have been backing up and double backing up all info since this is my main computer/laptop. I need it for work so I really want this to get cleared of all that could be bad that is why I am starting from scratch. Plus I had to find all my software to reinstall them too.

I just wonder if I have a bad disk. 

thank again,

KC

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 15 (8,364 Views)

You're very welcome, KC.

If you can't boot from the DVD, it could indeed be a bad disk.

Also, make sure you have disk 1 in first to boot from.

And yes, you should get a very brief message to hit any key to boot from CD, so watch carefully for it.

If you miss it you have to start all over again and reboot the PC.

Paul

Honor Student
kmc2770
Message 5 of 15 (8,350 Views)

Paul,

Thank you it worked, I tried it again and when the right screen showed up this time all worked. Now my computer is starting over from the begininng. I am now loading all my software back on it. Nicely it will run better because I won't have so much software as I used too on it. Much faster and cleaner. 

Thanks again,

Kristina

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 15 (8,330 Views)

You're very welcome, Kristina.

Paul

Student
tchorrigan
Message 7 of 15 (8,114 Views)

still having problems, even with the brand new system recovery dvd, getting a error code 0x8e000002

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 15 (8,111 Views)

Hi:

Sorry, but I don't know anything about recovery disk errors.

Did your notebook come installed with Windows 7?

If so, I can send you the link to the download files for several windows 7 versions and both in 32 and 64 bit.

You select the 32 or 64 bit version of windows (ie Home Premium) that is on your Microsoft COA sticker. The key will work for either the 32 or 64 bit version.

You would download the file, burn it to a DVD using a DVD program that can burn an ISO file.

Boot from the DVD, install windows and use the product key on the MS COA sticker on the bottom of your PC to activate windows.

Then download and install any drivers you need from the support and driver page for your notebook.

That's the best I can do for you.

Paul

Top Student
Em83
Message 9 of 15 (7,894 Views)

I just wanted to say thank you to the person that listed the information in this help topic.  I have been trying for 2 weeks to figure out how to get my laptop back to factory settings after a virus literally wiped out everything on my system.  I could not get the discs to run to save my life.  I am not new the computer world and I think this is why it bothered me so much.  I can happily say that at the moment my recovery discs are running after using the F9 key and telling my laptop to run from the cd - drive.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 15 (7,893 Views)

You're very welcome. 

Glad you got your recovery disks working.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation