Question

Student
REJ113
Message 1 of 4 (2,567 Views)

Recovery Disks for HP Pavillion dv6500

My hard drive has died and I had to get a new one.  However, I cannot find the recovery disks on the HP website.  Does anyone know what I can do in order to reinstall the operating system and drivers?

Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (2,565 Views)

Re: Recovery Disks for HP Pavillion dv6500

How to order recovery disks from HP.

Ordering a recovery disk set from an HP Partner.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

PhD Student
Mista B
Message 3 of 4 (2,559 Views)

[ Edited ]

Option 2 is download correct generic OS setup (match version on windows label on base of notebook) from Microsoft .

Then download required drivers from HP driver support page.

Like my post? Click Kudos (thumb+) to show appreciation.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (2,552 Views)

Hi:

The dv6500 came standard with windows vista, so W7 installation files won't work because the product key will be for vista;

Use this method to create a vista installation disk for your notebook if you can read the product key. If you can't you will need to purchase recovery disks which don't need the product key to work.

If you can read your 25 character MS product key, you can make your own Windows Vista installation disk. Just download the 3 files you need at the link below, and read all of the instructions to create a bootable DVD installation disk using imageburn.

When I went to compile the ISO file, ImageBurn gave a message that about a WIM file and ISO, and if I wanted to burn it in a different format.

I selected No, make the ISO file.

It was not that hard to do. I burned both the 64 bit disk and the 32 bit disk in case I ever need them.

I tested both of them (just short of going ahead with the actual install) and they appeared to work perfectly.

Apparently when you enter the product key, it knows what version of Vista you have.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/softwa​re-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-v...

After you successfully install vista, you can download the drivers you need from your PC's support and driver page.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation