Question

Top Student
Steve_Sawyer
Message 1 of 20 (489 Views)

Recovery hangs on disk 2

My son encountered a nasty virus that hosed up his machine. The F11 system restore option only presented us with a blank screen, so I ordered a set of recovery disks.

Booting from the first recovery disk in the internal DVD-ROM drive, the recovery proceeds fine for awhile. Eventually disk 1 pops out, and I'm prompted to insert disk 2. The process continues until getting to the third bullet point on the installation screen (restoring system files), when the progress bar reaches 12%, the DVD-ROM drive pops open, and everything comes to a halt. I've repeated this entire process three times, and the process halts at the same point each time. I've allowed the process to sit at this inert point for as much as 30 minutes with no apparent disk activity, and an unresponsive user interface.

The only option at this point is to force a power-switch shut down. Restarting results in a "retore completed" message, and a prompt to re-boot which in turn results in a "BOOTMGR missing - press <ctrl><alt><del> to restart" error message.

And around and around we go.

What can we do at this point?

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 2 of 20 (484 Views)

Re: Recovery hangs on disk 2

Maybe they gave you the wrong dvds.  If it was me I would use the windows disk that should have come with your computer to format the drive and do a clean install of windows with nothing else on it and then get whatever drivers you need from the internet.  Do you have this disk?

For more info look on youtube for Windows 7 clean install.

Remember once you get the computer with a working operating system, get a good antivirus like Avast or AVG.

Top Student
Steve_Sawyer
Message 3 of 20 (480 Views)

Well, this is one of those computers that don't come with recovery or OS disks. And as to these being the wrong disks, given that I had to identify the computer right down to the serial number to order the disks from HP, that would seem unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

The ony way I could get a set of "generic" win 7 pro disks would be to fork out full list price (or at minimum a couple hundred for an "upgrade" version).

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 4 of 20 (479 Views)

OK, sounds like a partition problem.  The windows cd will fix it easily but there is a more complicated way with a program called Testdisk which is on the Knoppix version of linux.  All you have to do is download knoppix on a working computer, burn to cd/dvd, and boot to it.  Then go in the terminal and run testdisk.  With that you can fix your boot loader and partition table info so the OS can boot, I think that will work, you just need the linux disk. 

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 20 (469 Views)

Steve_Sawyer wrote:

My son encountered a nasty virus that hosed up his machine. The F11 system restore option only presented us with a blank screen, so I ordered a set of recovery disks.

Booting from the first recovery disk in the internal DVD-ROM drive, the recovery proceeds fine for awhile. Eventually disk 1 pops out, and I'm prompted to insert disk 2. The process continues until getting to the third bullet point on the installation screen (restoring system files), when the progress bar reaches 12%, the DVD-ROM drive pops open, and everything comes to a halt. I've repeated this entire process three times, and the process halts at the same point each time. I've allowed the process to sit at this inert point for as much as 30 minutes with no apparent disk activity, and an unresponsive user interface.

The only option at this point is to force a power-switch shut down. Restarting results in a "retore completed" message, and a prompt to re-boot which in turn results in a "BOOTMGR missing - press <ctrl><alt><del> to restart" error message.

And around and around we go.

What can we do at this point?

Which OS is it?

How many discs in the Recovery set?

Top Student
Steve_Sawyer
Message 6 of 20 (457 Views)

Windows 7 professional, and the recovery disks are on 2 DVDs

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 20 (455 Views)

Please Test the hard drive then the memory modules, post back the results.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/...

Top Student
Steve_Sawyer
Message 8 of 20 (440 Views)

I really appreciate the suggestion and detailed information.

However, this machine wil not boot from anything other than the recovery DVD (anything else gives the "BOOTMGR is missing" error). The Memtest 86 CD gives the same result.

The drive is a Western Digital, and again, since I can't get this to boot from anything but the HP Recovery DVDs, I have no way to run the WD diagnostics.

This leaves me with just the internal BIOS diagnostics, and both tests (memory and HDD) passed.

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 9 of 20 (439 Views)

[ Edited ]

Like I said before, it's probably a corrupt partition.  If you don't like the method I posted earlier with linux, there are a lot of rescue cd's out there that can fix a partition.  Most are free.  

The one I have used with great success with the same problem is called Testdisk.

Here is the site:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

It comes on the knoppix lunix live cd which you can get at the other link I gave you or you can use directions from cgsecurity to make a dos boot disk with testdisk on it, boot to that, and fix your computer.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 10 of 20 (435 Views)

Steve_Sawyer wrote:

I really appreciate the suggestion and detailed information.

However, this machine wil not boot from anything other than the recovery DVD (anything else gives the "BOOTMGR is missing" error). The Memtest 86 CD gives the same result.

The drive is a Western Digital, and again, since I can't get this to boot from anything but the HP Recovery DVDs, I have no way to run the WD diagnostics.

This leaves me with just the internal BIOS diagnostics, and both tests (memory and HDD) passed.

The diagnostics are built into the bios, use F10 to enter the bios and run the extended tests, this info was in the link I posted. No need to boot from anything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation