Question

Tutor
VeskoJ
Message 1 of 10 (1,230 Views)
Accepted Solution

Recovery on a new drive SSD

I've just purchased a new EliteBook 8770w and a SSD and wanted to replace the primary HDD, so I created a recovery disk with the HP tool.

But when I swap the drives and put only the new SSD, and press F11 during the boot, no Recovery Manager starts up.

If I try to boot from the first backup CD, Windows 7 installation starts up. Any idea what's going on here?

1. Can I attach the both drives and run Recovery Manager from the original Windows and restore it on the second (SSD)?

2. Is this the best approach to change the primary HDD?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 10 (1,222 Views)

Re: Recovery on a new drive SSD

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Unless the SSD is the same size as your original mechanical drive, recovery disks won't work.

I would make my own w7 installation media and then use that to install W7 on the SSD.

I would also copy the SWSetup folder off the C:\drive and store it on a portable hard drive because that contains all of the program installation files that came with your PC (except MS Office 2010 Starter).

Here's how to do that:

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Or use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to compile the ISO file you download from Digital River. Link and instructions below. You need a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method of compilation.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Tutor
VeskoJ
Message 3 of 10 (1,217 Views)

Recovery (Windows Installation) started but it's very slow on the SSD. Are there big differences between the plain MS W7 iso and the W7 media, bundled with the laptop?
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 10 (1,214 Views)

No.

If you order recovery disks from HP you actually get a plain W7 disk (which doesn't need the product key is the only difference, because the HP OEM VLK is incorporated), and you get an application and driver DVD.

Tutor
VeskoJ
Message 5 of 10 (1,212 Views)

I got only one DVD "Operating system DVD", the question is fastest way to reinstall all drivers.
1. I have drivers backup on the second DVD from "Recovery Disk Creator", should I install something and "recover" all drivers from it or..
2. Is there any automatic install and where I can download it? Wasn't it something like "HP Setup"?
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 10 (1,210 Views)

I don't know. 

After I installed the OS from the OS DVD, I ran the application and driver DVD from my desktop, it spun up and allowed me to either install everything on there automatically or uncheck the stuff I didn't want installed.

Your setup is different, so I can't help you there.

I would just go to the support and driver page and download the drivers in the order presented on the page.

Tutor
VeskoJ
Message 7 of 10 (1,207 Views)

Seems the solution is:

1. Re-install Windows 7 from the first backup DVD, which basically contains only the W7
2. After the install, put the second DVD (labeled "Drivers") and one autorun exe will start

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 10 (1,206 Views)

That would be the best approach to try first.

My notebook did not give me the option to make any backups.

I had to order the recovery disks from HP which were sent to me free of charge since the notebook was under warranty.

Top Student
shukree
Message 9 of 10 (1,204 Views)

[ Edited ]

hi

few days before i purchased hpG6 laptop with mechanical disk ,and i bought an ssd

before  do any thing i imaged the whole disk (4 partitions ) by acronis true image.

then i imaged back to SSD drive , and every thing is OK.

true image can deal with different disk sizes.but ghost did'nt.

Tutor
VeskoJ
Message 10 of 10 (1,186 Views)

Thanks, shukree. But I  didn't have time to play with Acronis and NGhost.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation