Question

Tutor
sharopa
Message 1 of 12 (3,567 Views)
Accepted Solution

RecoveryMgr.exe - error message "the memory cannot be read"

[ Edited ]
The rest of the message stated, "The instruction at 0X800d030 reference memory at 0x0012ac60. The memory cannot be read". Can I not recover my hard drive? This happened after a TROJAN was recognized by my antivirus software yesterday (4/9/12), then quarantined. The laptop was re-scanned and found without error. But, when I attempted to open a particular application on my hard drive, access was denied, even though I was in administrator mode. Then a pop-up, obviously in hind sight, NOT my antivirus program, said a threat was found and to restart my computer now... and an option for later was there. This was the third time yesterday that this warning popped up, and I chose "restart later". This last time I chose "restart now". It rebooted ok... but then this morning, I got "No Boot Device Found, Hard Disk Not Exist"; etc. Is my hard drive fried? Is there nothing that can be done? I got the subject message when I used the 1st recovery disk I made when I first purchased the laptop. Can this be fixed?
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 12 (3,556 Views)

Re: RecoveryMgr.exe - error message "the memory cannot be read"

In the bios there is a hard drive and memory tester, run both of them, post back any errors or messages.

Please post your full product Number

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/findModel?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Please Do Not post your s/n

HP Product number label.gif

Tutor
sharopa
Message 3 of 12 (3,552 Views)

Yesterday I got a black screen with error message "Boot Disk Error - 3F0, No Operating System Found - 6011" After several attempts to restart, I got the start up menu when F2 was pressed. No help there. Got to the screen that states press "F2, F3, F4, F10...." Entered F2. Memory test completed and ok at 4G, but "Hard Disk Not Exist" "Start Up Test Failed - Boot Device Not Found" 3F0. Then I tried F3 - 100% of memory tested ok, 4G system memory - ok, Hard Disk Not Exist". F4... same error message "Hard Drive Not Found". I had one disk (cannot find the other one) from original making of recovery disk-Disk 1, put it in the CD/DVD drive and at start up, had the selection to boot with CD or internal hard drive. Chose CD. "Windows is loading files..." I got. Then, "Starting Windows...", which opened to a light blue Recovery screen, I assumed... then I got an error message... "RecoveryMgr.exe - Application Error. The Instruction at 0x800d030 reference memory at 0x0012ac60. The memory cannot be read" OK... what now? Am I screwed?
Tutor
sharopa
Message 4 of 12 (3,552 Views)

hp G71-340US Notebook Windows 7-64 bit
P/N - VM114UA#ABA
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 12 (3,549 Views)

Sounds like your hard drive has failed, you would need to replace it and use the HP recovery discs to install windows again.

Is it under warranty?

Tutor
sharopa
Message 6 of 12 (3,548 Views)

hp G71-340US Notebook Windows 7-64 bit P/N VM114YA#ABA

Ran both yesterday.

Memory test results good at 100% of 4,163,137,536 bytes of system memory,

Memory tested ok... Memory Test passed,

Hard Disk Not Exist

Tutor
sharopa
Message 7 of 12 (3,545 Views)

No warranty since 3/20/12..only used once for a replacement power cord 2 yrs ago.. figures, right? Query... Do you think the TROJAN damaged it and if I keep trying to access it, it will continue to erase data?
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 12 (3,541 Views)

No the trojan did not damage it, the hard drive cannot be detected at a hardware level, which

means it failed completely.

Unfortunately this usually means your data is unrecoverable by conventional means.

You would need to replace the hard drive and use the HP recovery discs to install windows.

Tutor
sharopa
Message 9 of 12 (3,535 Views)

OK (sigh) truly stressed out!

Kinda figured that, but I have a few more queries, then close up shop (especially since the warranty ran out 3/20/12) for P/N VM114UA#ABA... figures, huh?

1) The HDD I'm replacing is the WD3200BEVT SCORPIO BLUE

A-Which of the store HDD should I get?

Can I get one of higher capacity &/or faster RPM?

B-Local store sells the BPVT, and the BEKT for $70/$100.

Which will work with my laptop?

C- Is it possible to purchase the equivalent from HP AND a warranty?

2) The HDD doesn't sound physically broken (no rattles or such), could the TROJAN virus cause it to be inaccessible? If I continue to attempt to access it, will it erase the data already stored on it? Or worse yet, infest the motherboard!?

3) Can this HDD be formatted and reused? If the error I got is in RecoveryMgr.exe, does that affect the HHD, the memory (which was ok??), or the motherboard? Will I be able to use those 3 original Recovery Disks to format and install Windows on the store bought HHD?

OK, I think that covers it... for now... lol THANKS!
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 10 of 12 (3,531 Views)

I buy hard drives from Newegg.com

1. Yes you can get one larger 750gb max, anthing over that and it may not fit in the drive bay.

I like the Western Digital Scorpio Black laptop hard drives.

You Do Not want an "Advanced Format" hard drive, HP recovery discs may not work on that     type of drive. BPVT is advanced format. Ask the sales person if you are not sure, read the       box carefully.

Read the retail package for the warranty, some are 1yr, 3yr or 5yr

2. You can test the hard drive by connecting it to another windows PC using a USB to hard drive adapter  see if you can browse the hard drive using Windows Explorer, if the hard drive does not show up in explorer, it is dead and you will have to pay a data recovery service quite a few dollars for a Physical Recovery to recover your data. If you can see files on the drive copy the important ones to another storage device.

3. Only if it is not dead, I think it is. Yes recovery discs will work if the new drive is Not advanced format type.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation