Reinstalling (completely reloading!) an HP Mini (107 Views)
Honor Student
Merchant
Message 1 of 2 (107 Views)

Reinstalling (completely reloading!) an HP Mini

My wife had an HP Mini, I know she never took the steps to set up recovery for this and a few weeks ago she asked my son to "clear out" her laptop.  It was perrforming poorly and she wanted it wiped clean, back to square one.

I don't know if she understood what she was asking him or exaclty what steps he took, but he went through some sort of wipe and when it wouldn't just revert to the original install he got stuck.

I'm now the one tasked with fixing the mess they made. 

It's an HP Mini

Windows 7 (home)

I'd just like to get a basic load back on this thing with the appopriate drivers.  I can probably get my hands on a USB optical drive if necessary, but I have a USB external HD if that is an option (I noticed it sounded like flash drives are supported) but what I'm wondering is where I can get the original image from or what the best way to load this is.  Since it doesn't appear to be sold with any phsyical media, I would imagine I'd have to order something or download something.  If I can get figure out where to locate the license key for Win7 I could probably just pull down a Windows 7 install from technet since I've got a subscription there, but I have a feeling I'll be a lot happier with factory image with all the right drivers.

Any suggestions on how to get started?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 2 (103 Views)

Re: Reinstalling (completely reloading!) an HP Mini

Hi:

You can see if you can get a recovery dvd set by clicking on the link below and following the instructions.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&sw_lang=&product=40...

If the PC has windows home basic which most of them come with, there are no downloads for that OS that I am aware of.

The product key should be on a Microsoft COA sticker on the bottom of the notebook.

If you post the product number (found on the sticker with the serial number), I will also look to see if recovery disks are available--even from a reseller.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation