Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey Guys

I have a Pavilion g7-1150us laptop (Windows 7 was already pre-installed on it when I first purchased it). I wish to restore my laptop to factory settings. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to make a recovery disk? I have already backed my personal files on my external hard-drive

2. Do I need a Windows 7 CD when I restore my laptop to factory settings?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@PierreSSGA wrote:

Hey Guys

I have a Pavilion g7-1150us laptop (Windows 7 was already pre-installed on it when I first purchased it). I wish to restore my laptop to factory settings. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to make a recovery disk? I have already backed my personal files on my external hard-drive

2. Do I need a Windows 7 CD when I restore my laptop to factory settings?

Thanks

Hi,

1: No, the system has a recovery partition and recovery disks are not necessary. However, I would recommend to create them in case of a complete failure of the hard drive as a backup for a new hard drive and getting the system back to its factory settings.

2: No, the system on the laptop is OEM and a Windows CD is not needed. However, it might be useful when the MBR is damaged and other system repairs have to be done. 

Some info how to restore the laptop to the factory settings:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02638587

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

I wish to ask if the sound and other drives will be affected. Also, my recovery manager looks like this: Recovery Manager.jpg

What should I do? I just do not want to screw up anything

HP Recommended
I forgot to ask how do I find out if the MBR is damaged or if system repairs are in order? Everything seems to be working fine, but I need to be sure
HP Recommended

@PierreSSGA wrote:
I forgot to ask how do I find out if the MBR is damaged or if system repairs are in order? Everything seems to be working fine, but I need to be sure

Don't worry about the MBR now. I just said that a Windows DVD might be useful but it's not necessary.

If you want to restore it to the factory settings press "esc" at startup and then F11. Then follow the instructions and choose "Factory Reset". It will restore the pc as it was new. No driver issues etc..

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.