Return to Factory Settings (385 Views)
Tutor
HELPALLEN
Message 1 of 8 (385 Views)

Return to Factory Settings

My only a few years old laptop is no longer accessing Windows updates and efforts to repair indicate Window is severely corrupted.  My Windows 7 came preinstalled and I did not create a backup shame on me). I plan to return to factory settings. Here's my question. If I return to HP factory settings, does that include the preinstalled Windows that came with it? I was a big fan of HP (USA) but my recent conversation with their out of warrenty support did not lead to an simple answwer to this question.

Can any of you help me answer this question.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (380 Views)

Re: Return to Factory Settings

Hi,

If you restore the notebook to its 'Factory Condition', this reinstalls Windows 7 along with all the required drivers.  It will also reinstall nearly all of the software originall bundled with your machine ( the exception sometimes being trial versions of MS Office ).

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Teacher
PHANIKUMARNV
Message 3 of 8 (379 Views)

Hi

The recovery can be performed on the computer which will restore your computer back to the factory setting you will loose all the data or softwares you might have installed on the computer seperately whihc was not shipped to you by hp so first backup all your data and then perform full system recover but i am not sure wether the f11 system recover is accessable on the computer if it is then its more then enough to restore your computer back to factory settings also you can get the recovery cds from hp website by entering the product number of your computer under the driver and softwares and choose the operating system and you can place the order there let me know if this post helped you all the best.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a Reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching
Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.

Tutor
HELPALLEN
Message 4 of 8 (328 Views)

Yes and no. Yes because I'm grateful for your reponse.

No because I don't know what address to go to  to request the back up your said I could order.

My HP help seems to be less functional because I'm out of warrenty.

Also beginning late today I get a blue screen warning of an immenent crisis offered hard drive and start up test all which turn out OK so then I press esc and start up continues normally.

I switched to HP after decades wih Dell to support a US company struggling to survive.

I've had this laptop for two years, just spent several hundred dollars with a top notch expert I used for years before I retired, and he was baffled.

Sad to see a great company go down.

I will try a little longer but considering my next purhase (replacement) Dell or Apple.

Again thank you for trying to help me. 

Tutor
HELPALLEN
Message 5 of 8 (324 Views)

you are kind to try to help me. now my two year old HP laptop is blue screening me cited imminent catasrophe but when I run the hard drive and startup test (hours) suggested on the screen, I get an Ok message, press OK and go on line with no incident. Very discouraged by HP. Back to Dell for me or even considering Apple. Sad to see a great company fail to deliver a lasting product. My wifes still driving her 1989 Accura LS.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 8 (318 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you will post the Product number of your laptop I will try to locate the support page of your model to order Recovery Disks. 

Get your Product Number by pressing Fn + Esc key or check the Service Tag attached to bottom, may be under battery.

Alternatives>>

The document HERE details doing a Factory restore using the recovery partition. 

The document HERE details how to burn a Recovery DVD set.

If the hard drive is failing, which it sounds like, it is quite common in todays faster,hotter running laptops..whether HP,Dell,Apple,etc. They are easily replaced with retail drives and usually quite inexpensive. Recovery Disks required of course to reinstall Windows.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
HELPALLEN
Message 7 of 8 (300 Views)

forgive me 

everybody else's breaks too sounds like a weak alibi to me

this laptop is barely two years old

thanks for reponding and the practical information but HP wants to charge $200 to help me on the phone

America went through this with US car manufacturers

hopefully behind us is the decades when our auto manufacturers avoided responsibilty for their failures

perhaps a computer company needs to go through the same rescue reform responsibility  process.

HP needs a longer term support warrenty now 

one year is not long enough

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 8 (278 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can't argue that it would be nice to have a longer term  support warranty. As for hdd failures ,HP and other computer manufacturers use hdds from Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba. Most of these have a 1-2 year warranty if you purchase at retail. They offer no warranty on hdds supplied to HP and other companies, responsibility lies with the company. (most hdds are manufactured in Thailand)

If you would like help with the info on ordering a Recovery Disk set, please post your Product number or use it as input after clicking the button at top of this page titled 'Support & Drivers'. This will take you to your support page where you can order Recovery Media..usually around $17.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation