Question

Honor Student
renogreer
Message 1 of 3 (883 Views)

Tried reformatting Windows 7 on HP Pavilion g7 laptop stuck at "Setup is starting..." screen

Well I have a HP Pavilion g7-1260us laptop that was running Windows 7 Home Prem. and it had all these toolbars and unwanted programs and was just running extremely slow so I decided to use my OEM Windows 7 Home Prem x64 CD I bought for my desktop I built and reformat the laptop.

I put the CD in and booted from CD, I chose to install windows and deleted all partitions and created a new one and formatted it and installed windows on it and windows started up fine but was running kind of slow (I figured because none of the drivers were installed or up to date) I used my external hard to transfer over a HP network driver for I can do the windows update. It downloaded and installed them but when it restarted I just get "Windows failed to start, Windows error recovery" It gives me 2 options: 1. Launch Startup Repair (recommended) 2. Start Windows normally).

When I chose to start windows normally it just goes right back to the same choices, when I chose Startup Repair it gives me a blue wallpaper and with a cursor which I let stay like that overnight and nothing popped up.

I tried booting from CD my OEM Windows 7 and installing it but it just hangs up at "Setup is starting..." screen.

Any insight on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 3 (876 Views)

Re: Tried reformatting Windows 7 on HP Pavilion g7 laptop stuck at "Setup is starting..."

[ Edited ]

Enter BIOS setup by tapping/holding the F10 key immediately after powering on the laptop.Use Diagnostics to test your hdd.

You can order Recovery Disks for your laptop which will install Windows and all drivers/software.Usually less than $20.

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/mediaOrder?softwareitem=669175-001&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&pr...=

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
renogreer
Message 3 of 3 (857 Views)

Re: Tried reformatting Windows 7 on HP Pavilion g7 laptop stuck at "Setup is starting..."

HDD tested fine, I even made recovery discs and booted them from CD and they just give me a blue wallpaper also.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation