Question

Tutor
Drwho46
Message 1 of 13 (5,914 Views)
Accepted Solution

What to do next after installing new hard drive.

I have just finished  installing a New  Hard drive in my  HP  Pavillion  dv4-2049us  Laptop Windows 7. What do I do next to get the computer up and running??

e.g. Do I have to re-install  Windows 7 from the disk? Or , do I have to use a "Boot Disk"?  BTW, what is a boot Disk??

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 13 (5,907 Views)

Re: What to do next after installing new hard drive.

Hi,

Is it a BLANK, EMPTY BRAND NEW HDD ? If yes, you have to install the Opereting System (OS) on it. Do you have a Windows installation DVD ? Do you have Recovery disces set ? Please suuply more information.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
Drwho46
Message 3 of 13 (5,902 Views)

The hard drive is new and empty. I did purchase a windows 7 disk os.
Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 13 (5,899 Views)

Hi,

The following instructions will help:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win7ultimate/windows7installguides/indexfullpage.htm

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
Drwho46
Message 5 of 13 (5,896 Views)

I have already tried running the disk in the laptop. i hear the disk running, but all i see on the screen is. No bootable device found, place boot disk in drive then press any key. This is what it says on the screen.
Provost
banhien
Message 6 of 13 (5,895 Views)

Hi,

Sorry you need to boot from the ODD (Optical Disc Drive - ie the DVD). Please go to the BIOS and select boot up from the CD/DVD first. Have you read the above link ? This is one part of that link:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win7ultimate/7help/firstbootinbios/index.htm

On your laptop, try F10.

Regards.

BH
Tutor
Drwho46
Message 7 of 13 (5,883 Views)

phpQ2wOjhPM.jpgphpJwKqTnPM.jpgphpkN8jvSPM.jpgThis is what my screen looks like when I press F10. The black screen  stays the same no matter what changes I make.

Provost
banhien
Message 8 of 13 (5,861 Views)

Hi,

Please try this: on the first screen, select Internal CD/DVD and hit F10 again to save the setup. You have to switch back to HDD after the loading the OS on your machine.

Regards.

BH
Tutor
Drwho46
Message 9 of 13 (5,858 Views)

Hi, I am still getting a No bootable device screen . I am running the disk in the drive anyway to see if it would load.  Result- same  No difference in loading response.

Honor Student
blanca2
Message 10 of 13 (4,604 Views)

[ Edited ]

I need help to know what to do after install a new hard dri ve inmy hp laptop .i turn laptop with new hard drive pres f10 and ablu box comes on askin set up pasword i try to pres enter nothing. Can someone hdlp please email [Personal Information Removed]  thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation