Question

cju Honor Student
Honor Student
cju
Message 1 of 4 (661 Views)

Windows 7 corrupt registry

I have been unable to boot with Windows.  I have a Pavilion dv6-1245dx computer running Windows 7 as an upgrade to Windows VISTA.  When it goes into the startup repair it either says it cannot find the problem or cannot repair the computer automatically.  I cannot restore to an earlier point because no matter how far back I go, it says the registry at the restore point is corrupt.  The problem details I get from Setup Repair are as follows:

Problem Event Name:          StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01:         6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02:         6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03:         unknown

Problem Signature 05:         AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06:         10

Problem Signature 07:         CorruptRegistry

OS Version:                             6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:                                1033

I can't do the c prompt copy of the registry files from regback because when it hits the SYSTEM file, there is an I/O error.  I need to know whether I can fix this problem with the software or should I just scrap it and go get the data off the hard drive.  I don't want to pay $60-100 to get software support if I can't fix it.  I ran a memory and hard drive test and both were ok.  Thanks for your help.

Colleen

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (648 Views)

Re: Windows 7 corrupt registry

Hi, Colleen:

Do you have the Windows 7 installation disk and W7 product key so you can reinstall the operating system?

If so, reinstalling the operating system should probably remedy your dilemma.

If you can reinstall the operating system, just let it install over your current situation and it will create a Windows.old folder.

You can go into the windows.old folder after your OS is reinstalled and get any files you need from there.

Paul

cju Honor Student
Honor Student
cju
Message 3 of 4 (644 Views)

I have the Windows 7 original upgrade installation disc.  I set it to boot from the CD and it takes me to a screen that has an "Install Now" button but when I click that button, it says it cannot install when it boots from the CD and I need to boot from the C drive.  The original problem is that I cannot boot from the C drive so I am stuck.

Colleen

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (642 Views)

OK.

I think we can work around that, Colleen.

You said your notebook came with Vista.

Make your own Vista disk, install Vista and then pop in your W7 disk and upgrade from the desktop.

If you can no longer read your Vista key due to wear and tear, I think you can skip the part where you enter it at the beginning and Vista will still install and give you 30 days to activate.

But since you are going to upgrade to W7, I believe you can just go ahead and upgrade then and there via the desktop.

Here's how...

If you're up to a slight but rewarding challenge you can make your own if you can read your 25 character Vista product key on the PC.

Just download the 3 files you need at the link below, and read all of the instructions to create a bootable DVD installation disk using imageburn.

Disregard the part of the text under the first screen shot about "extract the files to the Vista folder."

The files were already extracted to that folder when you ran the X14.exe file by reading the text on top of the first screen shot.

The other thing I noticed is on the 4th screen shot, where it shows Developer ID Microsoft Corporation. I had to type Microsoft Corporation in myself, and then the other codes automatically populated.

When I went to compile the ISO file, ImageBurn gave a message that about a WIM file and ISO, and if I wanted to burn it in a different format.

I selected No, make the ISO file.

It was not that hard to do. I burned both the 64 bit disk and the 32 bit disk in case I ever need them.

I tested both of them an my hp dc7100 CMT desktop PC, they worked perfectly.

When you enter the product key, it knows what version of Vista you have.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-v....

After you successfully install Vista, you can then install the drivers from your PC's support and driver page.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation