Windows 8.1 recovery without recovery disc or product key (332 Views)
Honor Student
Itsaasti
Message 1 of 4 (332 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8.1 recovery without recovery disc or product key

Hey!

I own a HP g6-2207sg. After windows 8.1 upgrade and a new set of AMD drivers windows is not starting anymore.

Not in safe mode, not with different starting settings. Recovery points are not working, from 3 restore points (2 automatic 1 critical update (win8.1)) none is working. 

I can neither refresh nor reset windows, nor can windows repair the startup (it fails as well).

I dont have my win8 product key, as it is not in or on the g6 and i never read it out when the laptop was still working.

I tried reading it out with the help of several 3rd party tools through command prompt, started from a usb stick, which is not working as there are windows functions missing.

I cant download a fresh .iso of win 8 from windows itself as i dont have the key.

Please help, i dont know what to do anymore and i need my computer for work.

Thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (323 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 recovery without recovery disc or product key

Hi,

As your notebook originally shipped with Windows 8, the activation key is stored in the Bios chip, so you could create your own OEM Windows 8 installation disc.

For details on how to do this, see the 3rd post by Huffer on the following link.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Need-Product-key/m-p/2592099/highlight/false#M96668

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Itsaasti
Message 3 of 4 (316 Views)

The uploaded iso is not accesible right now.

Is there a way to read out my windows 8 key without a working windows? Cmd is working.

Does HP know the used windows 8 keys? 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (300 Views)

Hi,

The Windows 8 Image source does have a download limit in place, but it will usually work if you keep trying for a couple of hours.  The key will be automatically read from the bios during installation.

I'm not aware of any way you can decipher the encrypted key via the command shell - only from reading its entry from the registry.

Unfortunayely, as with previous operating systems, neither Microsoft or HP will have any record of this key.

Another option would be to order a replacement set of Recovery Discs starting on the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation